Clown Flashing or Something Else

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I thought I saw one of my clowns flashing, but wasn't sure. I've seen a couple other instances over the last week - all at the same spot in the aquarium. I REALLY don't want to have to pull all my fish out and leave my tank fallow. My goby will be a PITA to catch. I tried a freshwater dip to see if it is flukes, but it was inconclusive due to too much debris in the container. I'm going to try again. tomorrow.

I set up a camera to record the clowns' activity and got a couple different behaviors, and saw behavior that looks like flashing and also something else - tail swishing on the sand bed. Does this look like flashing or is there hope that these behaviors won't cause me to re QT and medicate all my fish?

Flashing?:

What's this?"

BTW - how you like my hair algae?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first video looks like flashing, scratching, the second one is more behavioral. Repeating a FW dip the next day is unlikely to show any adult flukes as the first dip would have knocked them off already and it takes a week or two for the next crop to grow up.

How long have you had this clown and when was the last fish introduced to the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay. I've had the fish about 2 months. I bought them from a reputable supplier that quarantines and treats with copper, praziquantel for 30+ days. I also bought a Tasha goby, a skunk shrimp and a couple corals from the same supplier about 3 weeks later. The only other stuff I've added is some "clean" macro algae and some bottled phyto. That goby was the last fish - It's been in the tank for 1.5 months.

I'm supposed to pick up a couple more fish in the next week as they finish their quarantine, but it looks like I'll have to postpone until I figure out what's going on. I'm pretty disappointed to be in this position only 3 months in, but perhaps its better than 1 year in.

I only dipped one of the clowns and have noticed the same behavior from the other. I'll try dipping the other clown today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did another freshwater dip on both clowns and I didn't find any flukes. At this point, must I assume that what they have is Ich?
No, with the absence of white spots, it won’t be ich. If the fish aren’t breathing rapidly, are still eating well and don’t have any visible skin lesions, it is unlikely to be a bacterial or protozoan issue. The lack of flukes in the dip may rule that issue out. That really leaves “idiopathic scratching” where the fish is flashing for no reason we can discern. Wrasse do this, clowns don’t so much....
Jay

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay.

Should I be concerned about adding any new fish to the tank at this point? I haven't seen the goby flash, but he stays out of sight unless feeding.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay.

Should I be concerned about adding any new fish to the tank at this point? I haven't seen the goby flash, but he stays out of sight unless feeding.
I always wait a minimum of two weeks after I see some unknown symptom before adding anything new to a tank...just in case something develops!

Jay

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is the same kind of moves that my clowns display. I have always thought this behaviour had something to do with breeding. It is is what my clown pair does around their nest. They have been doing that for the last 10 months. They have laid 21 batches of eggs without any signs of parasites. BTW - they went through QT and medication for 3 months before I added them to the tank.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is the same kind of moves that my clowns display. I have always thought this behaviour had something to do with breeding. It is is what my clown pair does around their nest. They have been doing that for the last 10 months. They have laid 21 batches of eggs without any signs of parasites. BTW - they went through QT and medication for 3 months before I added them to the tank.
Do you witness both behaviors in the videos - both the flashing and the swishing (for lack of better word)?

I don't recall them ever flashing other than in that one spot, so this makes me optimistic.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brand new clowns are doing this in their QT tank as well. I think it might be a behavioral thing, though, as I have yet to see any other signs of parasites.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back