Clown goby thread!

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved mine for all of a day before I took him back to my LFS lol. He had an awesome personality and ate prepared food from day 1 but he also loved my acros so he had to leave
P1040278.JPG
IMG_20190927_205619.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved mine for all of a day before I took him back to my LFS lol. He had an awesome personality and ate prepared food from day 1 but he also loved my acros so he had to leave
P1040278.JPG
IMG_20190927_205619.jpg
He is so cute! I would give up a few acros just for the personality. And a yellow that actually eats day 1 is quite a find!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are these guys in an Lps/Softy tank?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a citron clown goby last week cause I like the way they perch in corals but mine only perches on the glass. Gotta say I am a little disappointed as I have some Great perches such as a giant green sinularia.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a citron clown goby last week cause I like the way they perch in corals but mine only perches on the glass. Gotta say I am a little disappointed as I have some Great perches such as a giant green sinularia.
Give him time. In my QT tank, mine only perched on the glass for a month. Once in my display tank, he did start perching on a coral skeleton I have. He also likes to hid under the edge of one my corals, but so far hasn't perched on top of a live coral. He's awfully cute in the coral skeleton though.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic?
I love citrons but have never seen one in the local reef shops in miami

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I decided to do a search for these guys. We bought a Citron Goby today from a reef shop in Atlanta. It’s going in an established tank. I’m hopeful it’ll readily eat mysis or frozen food at least.

Last edited:

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started eating on day 2. Initially, he preferred pellets because they’d sink down to him. Now he eats anything and everything

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are these guys in an Lps/Softy tank?

I'm here because mine green guy was great for a couple months, but today decided to tear up some acans. lil rascal has to go! So small though. No clue how I'll get him out. :/

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here because mine green guy was great for a couple months, but today decided to tear up some acans. lil rascal has to go! So small though. No clue how I'll get him out. :/
They will nest on branching sps. They will clear off a section to lay eggs. They won't eat sps. So it you think sps are being eaten I would check other live stock or possible hitchhiker.

Bells>Waimea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will nest on branching sps. They will clear off a section to lay eggs. They won't eat sps. So it you think sps are being eaten I would check other live stock or possible hitchhiker.

I witnessed him multiple times taking bites out of my acans. So he's gone. Netted him up pretty easily actually. Blinded by his new tasty treat and didnt see the giant net coming at him i guess.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a green clown goby over a month ago. I had it in QT for a week and it was doing very poorly it seemed. I moved it over to the DT and instantly this thing started swimming into the corals like a clownfish - glad to see it knew where "home" was. Well that was the last time I saw it until about a week or two ago.. I thought it was surely dead! Lo and behold.. It has been living in my 50 head Duncan this whole time. Literally living in it and swims through it like a little clownfish!

So cool and full of personality. The super strange thing is it seems to show itself when I have 2-3 people gawking at the tank! Like I am always telling people " I have this fish that never shows itself" and as though I summoned it he pops out watching everyone. Literally seen the fish probably 5-10 times now so it is very funny ! This has happened a few times.

I am scared though I have not seen the little one eat this whole time. All I ever really see is his head sticking out of the corals so it is hard to know if he is fat or skinny. I have tried chopped Mysis and krill, reef frenzy, fish eggs, nori, and pellets with no avail. I have lots of microfauna so hopefully it is eating something. No fish are picking on him - only have a few anyway.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a green clown goby over a month ago. I had it in QT for a week and it was doing very poorly it seemed. I moved it over to the DT and instantly this thing started swimming into the corals like a clownfish - glad to see it knew where "home" was. Well that was the last time I saw it until about a week or two ago.. I thought it was surely dead! Lo and behold.. It has been living in my 50 head Duncan this whole time. Literally living in it and swims through it like a little clownfish!

So cool and full of personality. The super strange thing is it seems to show itself when I have 2-3 people gawking at the tank! Like I am always telling people " I have this fish that never shows itself" and as though I summoned it he pops out watching everyone. Literally seen the fish probably 5-10 times now so it is very funny ! This has happened a few times.

I am scared though I have not seen the little one eat this whole time. All I ever really see is his head sticking out of the corals so it is hard to know if he is fat or skinny. I have tried chopped Mysis and krill, reef frenzy, fish eggs, nori, and pellets with no avail. I have lots of microfauna so hopefully it is eating something. No fish are picking on him - only have a few anyway.
Mine lives in my 15 head duncan too. He loves it. He does come out and eat aggressively though. I would assume he's getting food but you can always target feed the duncan.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lives in my 15 head duncan too. He loves it. He does come out and eat aggressively though. I would assume he's getting food but you can always target feed the duncan.
Super cool to know! I target feed the Duncans often to try to get it to eat and see food floating by its face but never seen the fish once attempt to eat it. The food is definitely small enough.

These fish are clearly REALLY filled with personality/characteristics I think are largely unmentioned.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some odd feeling the one I got is from the wild.. Ive had a few wild raised fish before and often they act a bit different. May be why getting him to eat is so tough.. I think I am going to reach out for some live rotifers or small pods.. IDK!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a yellow clown goby but it hasn't shipped yet and its been a week. Contacting the vendor to check status as my account there says shipped but the tracking number still says waiting on package.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back