Clown goby thread!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a clown goby for a very short time. He never ate and eventually disappeared.

He was one of my favorite fish! He was so funny! He would perch on my derasa clam and do other silly things. Anyway, it’s been a few months and I’m going to try another one.

Until, I get him, I want to hear some funny stories of these guys. Pictures of them in action is more than welcome! My guy is getting delivered this Saturday, so I need to be entertained until then.

ACDBDAC8-34C3-40DD-A43D-FA1324B2251A.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm currently QTing a yellow clown goby for my mom's tank, the little guy cracks me up. he's tiny compared to all of the other fish, but doesn't seem to mind cruising right by them.

he did somehow manage to get inside the power filter tube thing, so i'd make sure you have a really tight lid as the only way i can figure out he got in there is by jumping in from above. luckily my top is pretty secure

feeding wise i haven't had an issue with him, he eats pretty much anything. even large pieces of mysis that he can't eat, he gives it a try anyway

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one of these. It's a trade off though. The Green is supposed to be hardier and I love the colors but they also tend to be more reclusive and less personable. The Yellow on the other hand generally has an amazing personality but the color isn't as appealing as the Green and they can be difficult to get to feed.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one of these. It's a trade off though. The Green is supposed to be hardier and I love the colors but they also tend to be more reclusive and less personable. The Yellow on the other hand generally has an amazing personality but the color isn't as appealing as the Green and they can be difficult to get to feed.
Mine feed with all the other fish. Do agree with personality. Why not both. I have both in my 75 no issues

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that too but my guy was only like that the first few days. I’ve had him a month now and he just got moved to the DT. My royal gramma was super aggressive the first day and Waldo (names because we were always looking for him to see where he was hanging out) didn’t seem scared.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its name is Bob lol. Bob is dumb and likes to get stung by all the possible corals, he can, weak, strong, doesn't matter, bob is bob, his smallness doesn't detract him even from my snowflake eel. And yes bob is fat.
clown goby 2.jpg

clown goby.jpg

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my first tank. I thought they were cool little fish. I got the spawn of satan. He would sit on the rocks and dive bomb any fish that swam by. Kept my clownfish in the corner for two days till I could catch him. Should have burned that $5.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept several different ones ( green, yellow, black & citron), never had an issue with any. I have kept them together, but in a large tank, as long as you have plenty of corals or rock work, they usually mix.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has both colors. Will it nip Softies / LPS?

Very rarely will they nip at an LPS, they are general SPS nippers and reef safe otherwise. The most damage they do is looking cute perching on a coral causing it to close up generally lol ;Dead

Post on one nipping LPS with proof.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has both colors. Will it nip Softies / LPS?
Nope. If you get a pair they will lay eggs on the coral killing the area the eggs are on. The coral should recover

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back