Clown Goby white spot

HolyGrailTorch Lover

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
46
Location
Berlin
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1471.jpeg
Got this Clown goby from my local fish store today, is this normal?
 
I assume you're referring to the face? That's not normal, no.
 
The tail and fins make it looks like a potential disease but I'm not great with identification. Maybe a marine velvet or ich.
 
IMG_1471.jpeg
Got this Clown goby from my local fish store today, is this normal?
This fish is extremely thin and issue looks to be bacterial
Is it eating and what are you feeding it?
Treatment in a separate tank will be seachem neoplex
 
This fish is extremely thin and issue looks to be bacterial
Is it eating and what are you feeding it?
Treatment in a separate tank will be seachem neoplex

This fish is extremely thin and issue looks to be bacterial
Is it eating and what are you feeding it?
Treatment in a separate tank will be seachem neoplex
I have only fed him one time because I got him today and he ate actually quite a few frozen artemia shrimps
 
Do you think I need any kinds of filtration fir my quarantine tank?
 
IMG_1471.jpeg
Got this Clown goby from my local fish store today, is this normal?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The pale coloration and thin belly shows that this fish is in poor condition. I don’t see evidence of a parasitic disease (yet).

Is it feeding for you yet?

Here is the problem with these gobies; they live in coral branches. Each one only gets the fish collector 10 to 20 cents. The only way to catch them effectively at that price is to use cyanide to drive them out. This causes latent mortality that can be over 50% in the first 40 days. Then, because they are low value fish, they are just not handled well in the supply chain. I advise folks to avoid buying them.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The pale coloration and thin belly shows that this fish is in poor condition. I don’t see evidence of a parasitic disease (yet).

Is it feeding for you yet?

Here is the problem with these gobies; they live in coral branches. Each one only gets the fish collector 10 to 20 cents. The only way to catch them effectively at that price is to use cyanide to drive them out. This causes latent mortality that can be over 50% in the first 40 days. Then, because they are low value fish, they are just not handled well in the supply chain. I advise folks to avoid buying them
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The pale coloration and thin belly shows that this fish is in poor condition. I don’t see evidence of a parasitic disease (yet).

Is it feeding for you yet?

Here is the problem with these gobies; they live in coral branches. Each one only gets the fish collector 10 to 20 cents. The only way to catch them effectively at that price is to use cyanide to drive them out. This causes latent mortality that can be over 50% in the first 40 days. Then, because they are low value fish, they are just not handled well in the supply chain. I advise folks to avoid buying them.
How often would you recommend feeding him every day?
 
He eats Mysis and Artemia shrimp and I will buy Plankton for him on Monday

Would you still recommend any treatment for him?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new