Clown jumped, how to proceed

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. Just bought a pair of clowns yesterday. Snowflake and a Wyoming white - both small with intentions on pairing. The WW was slightly larger, and was a bit dominant in its respective tank, so I was assuming it would become female. Well I woke up this morning to see the WW on the carpet... Water quality is not an issue, and the pair was perfect last night at lights out. I’m assuming that it got spooked and jumped if a roommate turned on a nearby light in the middle of the night.

That being said, how soon should I worry about the current snowflake transitioning? If I was to get another clown soon, I would ideally get another slightly larger - correct? I just don’t want to plop two transitioning clowns together.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a clown later on. I just bought a smaller one and it worked out fine. I wouldn't get a larger one. If you end up with 2 females your tank becomes thunderdome

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a clown later on. I just bought a smaller one and it worked out fine. I wouldn't get a larger one. If you end up with 2 females your tank becomes thunderdome
+1

Go smaller on the new addition, not larger.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!
You have some time and don’t need to go out and replace it today if that’s your concern.
Time for a screen top?
Sorry for your loss!
It always sucks to find one of your beautiful fish has jumped to it’s death.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve learned baby clowns are suicidal. I wouldn’t overthink it.

Last night I had one kill itself trying to host in an urchin.

-Andrew

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. Just bought a pair of clowns yesterday. Snowflake and a Wyoming white - both small with intentions on pairing. The WW was slightly larger, and was a bit dominant in its respective tank, so I was assuming it would become female. Well I woke up this morning to see the WW on the carpet... Water quality is not an issue, and the pair was perfect last night at lights out. I’m assuming that it got spooked and jumped if a roommate turned on a nearby light in the middle of the night.

That being said, how soon should I worry about the current snowflake transitioning? If I was to get another clown soon, I would ideally get another slightly larger - correct? I just don’t want to plop two transitioning clowns together.
You are not the only one. I found one of my Clownfish pair on the floor yesterday so I am doing a DIY screen top. Never had a problem with fish jumping before.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not the only one. I found one of my Clownfish pair on the floor yesterday so I am doing a DIY screen top. Never had a problem with fish jumping before.
I’ve observed them and a citron goby attempt to jump over pipes and heaters obstructing the side of the tank while sleeping. They’re just annoyed and try and jump over, they’re not the brightest.

Last night I had o2 nosedive and my yellow headed jawfish jumped into the tank next to him, successfully. With a five inch gap between tanks and a lid on his! (There was a 1cm gap)

It’s a mixed bag.

-Andrew

Back