Clown laying on sandbed, breathing rapidly, and not eating after switching tanks. Stress?

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns both ate today, which is an improvement, but they are both still breathing quickly. What is normal respiration for clowns?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns both ate today, which is an improvement, but they are both still breathing quickly. What is normal respiration for clowns?
The actual rate can vary due to fish size and water temperature, but rates above about 100 beats per minute are suspect, and 150 is definitely an issue.
Change in the rate is an indication of a problem - going from 80 to 120 for example.
Getting a count can be tough - counting from a timed video helps.
Jay

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual rate can vary due to fish size and water temperature, but rates above about 100 beats per minute are suspect, and 150 is definitely an issue.
Change in the rate is an indication of a problem - going from 80 to 120 for example.
Getting a count can be tough - counting from a timed video helps.
Jay
They appear to have recovered and are breathing normally again. They're much more active today and exploring the new tank.

here's the newest video

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to have recovered and are breathing normally again. They're much more active today and exploring the new tank.

here's the newest video
They look much improved. I’m still struggling to follow the timeline - this happened when you moved the fish and THEN stirred the old tank sand bed? Seems to me the fish were isolated if that was the case - but still could be some unidentified issue in the holding tank.
Jay

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look much improved. I’m still struggling to follow the timeline - this happened when you moved the fish and THEN stirred the old tank sand bed? Seems to me the fish were isolated if that was the case - but still could be some unidentified issue in the holding tank.
Jay
I removed the rock and sand from the old tank. I then netted the live stock. The clowns went into the qt, and the other stock went to my lfs. The clowns stayed in the qt for around 48 hours and were then placed in the now dt.

Edit: the qt tank is a Rubbermaid tote which I keep dry in between uses. Sometimes I use copperpower and prazipro in it. I just dump the water and let it dry. I also add media from my dt in front of a return pump for filtration when I qt, then it gets discarded.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back