Clown Pairing...how long does it take?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned singles and clowns already paired up in the past. This time around I picked up a couple of non-paired Gold Lightning Clowns almost 2 weeks ago. One is noticably larger than the other. Naturally the larger seems to chase the smaller one quite a bit, then they seem to swim close to each other for awhile, then it's back to chasing. The smaller ones fins have some nipping marks but nothing extreame (only 2 fish in a 144 so getting away is easy). How long will this activity usually go on before they pair up? I know there is always that chance they won't. But on average?

IMG_20181017_190547.jpg

IMG_20181012_202321.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not as easy to pair maroon clowns. It is easier to have them together from small size like you have, but with this species, there is away a chance that the larger one kill the smaller one as we attempt to pair them.
If it get too bad, you may have to separate them. Use a partition and keep the small on where they can see each other but the larger one cannot abuse the smaller one until he heal and try again. It is important that the smaller on keep withing sight and in the same tank of the larger one. It may take months or longer. You must "imprison" the smaller one, even if it seem unfair that you the victim in jail. The other way, just encourage more violent on the part of the larger one. Even after they paired and breeding, the male does not always have it easy.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not as easy to pair maroon clowns. It is easier to have them together from small size like you have, but with this species, there is away a chance that the larger one kill the smaller one as we attempt to pair them.
If it get too bad, you may have to separate them. Use a partition and keep the small on where they can see each other but the larger one cannot abuse the smaller one until he heal and try again. It is important that the smaller on keep withing sight and in the same tank of the larger one. It may take months or longer. You must "imprison" the smaller one, even if it seem unfair that you the victim in jail. The other way, just encourage more violent on the part of the larger one. Even after they paired and breeding, the male does not always have it easy.
Ah, thank you for the knowledge sharing! I have been monitoring these closely and ready to pull the smaller if it got to bad. I will have to figure out how to make a partition for a half moon.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFT I know pair maroon by putting the smaller in a floating ball that LFS used to keep species that go into hiding, or animal that are detrimental to other inhabitant, in their tanks. You can also use zip tie to make a cube with eggcrate and isolate the smaller one in there. Think long term, several months.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFT I know pair maroon by putting the smaller in a floating ball that LFS used to keep species that go into hiding, or animal that are detrimental to other inhabitant, in their tanks. You can also use zip tie to make a cube with eggcrate and isolate the smaller one in there. Think long term, several months.
Thank you! Good input!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I see people post often is just having one smaller than the other, but in pairing the potential male must not just be smaller, but small enough to still be certain it's male.
Inch and a quarter is about max to make sure it's still male, unless it's been kept in check by a female.

I always intro in a container and let female observe, and that might go a day or 2.

Maroons do seem more fussy, and sometimes the female will not accept even if it is a male, sometimes it takes a few tries w/ other males

Back