Clown sick - please help! what’s wrong?

Natpats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!
I have a tank of around 25 clowns who are 9 months old. 2 are poorly and lying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. 1 started yesterday, the other tonight. They are both in a quarantine box in the main tank. I’ve noticed some weird marks on the one who became sick yesterday and the one today seems to have a small tail. Does anyone know what’s wrong and how to treat? I’m in the U.K.

IMG_4966.jpeg IMG_4964.jpeg IMG_4965.jpeg IMG_4963.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!
I have a tank of around 25 clowns who are 9 months old. 2 are poorly and lying on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. 1 started yesterday, the other tonight. They are both in a quarantine box in the main tank. I’ve noticed some weird marks on the one who became sick yesterday and the one today seems to have a small tail. Does anyone know what’s wrong and how to treat? I’m in the U.K.

IMG_4966.jpeg IMG_4964.jpeg IMG_4965.jpeg IMG_4963.jpeg

Hello -

Both of these clown are really thin. That doesn't account for the sudden symptom of rapid breathing, but it is an issue.

We need more history about this case. Were all of these clowns raised as a group? Have there been any new additions? Every time I've had groups of young clowns, they began to pair off and fight when they reach 8 to 10 months of age.

Here is a post that describes the information that is helpful for us to know:

Jay

OP
OP
Natpats

Natpats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

Both of these clown are really thin. That doesn't account for the sudden symptom of rapid breathing, but it is an issue.

We need more history about this case. Were all of these clowns raised as a group? Have there been any new additions? Every time I've had groups of young clowns, they began to pair off and fight when they reach 8 to 10 months of age.

Here is a post that describes the information that is helpful for us to know:

Jay
Hi Jay
Thanks for coming back. All clowns were raised as a group and there are no new additions. Around one month ago the same thing happened to another one of the group but I thought it was a one off. I didn’t notice any marks on that one and he ended up swimming in circles with lots of bites from fins and tail. He was like that for about 10 days and then he died.
Do you think it’s stress/fighting more than a disease?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aggression to me.

25 clowns? How big is the tank?

OP
OP
Natpats

Natpats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info.
Nitrite and nitrate are at the highest levels of the tests!
172 breaths per minute.
Other clowns are ok for now.

OP
OP
Natpats

Natpats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just checking I was going to do a fresh water dip but worried this may make things worse. What do you think?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay
Thanks for coming back. All clowns were raised as a group and there are no new additions. Around one month ago the same thing happened to another one of the group but I thought it was a one off. I didn’t notice any marks on that one and he ended up swimming in circles with lots of bites from fins and tail. He was like that for about 10 days and then he died.
Do you think it’s stress/fighting more than a disease?

Yes - I think that aggression is playing a part in this. As these fish pair off, there is going to be more and more breakdowns in the group dynamics.

Jay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think that but worried about the marks around the head/gills in one of the fish?

They aren't playing. Sometimes they fight to the death determining who will be the dominant of the pair.

Again, 25 clownfish in what size tank?

OP
OP
Natpats

Natpats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't playing. Sometimes they fight to the death determining who will be the dominant of the pair.

Again, 25 clownfish in what size tank?
The tank is 52 litres. They are only small still (smaller than ones previously I’ve bred).

The 2nd fish who became poorly died over night. The other one is still the same.

I’ve done a 50% water change. Added nitrite remover to try to get that down. All other parameters are good.

Still questioning what the marks are around the head but do we think this is from attacks?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 52 litres. They are only small still (smaller than ones previously I’ve bred).

The 2nd fish who became poorly died over night. The other one is still the same.

I’ve done a 50% water change. Added nitrite remover to try to get that down. All other parameters are good.

Still questioning what the marks are around the head but do we think this is from attacks?

Was that a typo? 52 liters is only 14 gallons. You cannot house 25 nine month old clownfish in a tank that small. You'll run into water quality and dissolved oxygen issues. Fighting will also be an issue, but that crowded, may displace some of the aggression.

Jay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

52 liters converts to 13.74 gallons.

25 fish, regardless of their size is too many for a tank that size in my view. I'm not surprised to see aggression under these conditions.

I would suggest spreading them out across a few tanks or transfer them to one larger tank.

Dom

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back