Clown tang

SkillKing21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home to see my clown tang looking like it fought in World War Two. It was in my qt tank with a tiny yellow eye kole tang. The clown tang was almost double the size. I did not think that the kole eye would destroy the clowntangs dorsal fin. You could see the bone sticking out. I took it out and put it in anouther QT tank. Anyone have any tips on healing severe fish wounds?

Coral Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have learned that its not size that matters... the kole tang could of very well attacked your clown tang... as in for treatment i would advise leaving it in a quarantene treating it with a bacterial medication to prevent and/or treat it if it gets infected. i would refrain from putting it back with the kole just in case it was it that attacked it. at least until you get a bigger tank to put them in

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start dosing the trifecta (metro, Kanaplex, Furan 2) doing this now will boost his immune system while he tries to heal. Make sure to feed him well and with vitamin soaked foods. He could recover if you give him some assistance.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! :( Sorry to hear about your beautiful fish. Never fails to amaze me how "caveman" like is the behavior of saltwater fish.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super sorry! My experience with tangs and surgeon fish is that they are all individuals and there’s not really any generalizations that hold true as far as behaviors are concerned.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I have always wanted a clown tang but I don’t want to rock the boat with my achillies, powder blue, mimic, and convict.

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the clown tang. I've seen the vicious side of Kole tang's too when I added smaller purple and sailfin tangs. My kole was absolutely furious with the new additions that tried their best to hide but he would actively search them out and bite and fin slap them. Gave the mirror trick a shot and luckily after a couple hours of fighting himself in the mirror and he forgot all about the other new fish.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back