Clown vs melanarius wrasse

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning from Ontario Canada,

Here's my question. I have a melanaris wrasse which i acquired (rescued) a few months ago. I just added it my main DT. I currently have a melanaris wrasse which is already in the tank and the 2 get along, with the exception of my female storm clown after adding it the next morning the new wrasse came out and almost immediately the female clown obsessively hunts the new wrasse and won't stop picking on it. She can some how tell the difference between the 2 and leaves the original one alone and only goes after the new one. The new one goes into hiding and the clown calms down, until it comes back out. I have never seen this behaviour with any other fish. And if your wondering the wrasse is significantly bigger than the clown.

Any ideas how or why? Also I'm trying to catch the new wrasse to place it in a more peaceful environment. But this is much more difficult to pull off. TYIA.

d41b79ca-0740-4230-b8f6-71c38c2f40bephoto.jpeg

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a mirror on glass. You can get one on amazon with suction cups. Put it right in front of where clown hangs out. Shoukd help

OP
OP
BionicReef73

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a mirror on glass. You can get one on amazon with suction cups. Put it right in front of where clown hangs out. Shoukd help
I have tried that, lol just gets the tangs fired up, and she normally hangs on one side of the tank. She will now and started to patrol the entire tank, actively looking for the the wrasse. Yet the other wrasse she ignores it.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have one, the problem is catching the bugger
they burrow into the sand. its super duper easy. Just make it go into the sandbed. Put a net over it, and scoop it out. Use your hand. You can literally scoop him in the net. I've done it before. Sand burrowing wrasses are the easiest fish to catch ever.

He'll be like what the heck is happening

OP
OP
BionicReef73

BionicReef73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they burrow into the sand. its super duper easy. Just make it go into the sandbed. Put a net over it, and scoop it out. Use your hand. You can literally scoop him in the net. I've done it before. Sand burrowing wrasses are the easiest fish to catch ever.

He'll be like what the heck is happening
Oh that I know but when he's buried himself in the sand behind 30+ pound of rock, that is were the problem lies and I'm not disturbing the entire tank to get the 1 fish

Attachments

• 20231231_182744.jpg
    20231231_182744.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 12

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back