Clown w/ White Eyes

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my two clowns has a white spot on both eyes. No other spots or lines that I can see. She still eats well and pesters the goby/pistol pair so behavior seems unaffected. Searched the threads and couldn’t find anything that might be limited only to eyes. Any thoughts or recommended treatment?

IMG_4708.jpeg IMG_4707.jpeg IMG_4726.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of my two clowns has a white spot on both eyes. No other spots or lines that I can see. She still eats well and pesters the goby/pistol pair so behavior seems unaffected. Searched the threads and couldn’t find anything that might be limited only to eyes. Any thoughts or recommended treatment?

This may be light retina damage from injury, previous high ammonia or injury
It may or may not heal but you can treat in a separate quarantine tank with Maracyn, Not Maracyn oxy or Maracyn 2 and it may or may not help but worth a shot
Increase aeration with an air stone if you decide to treat

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you tell - are the white spots on the eye's surface, or beneath the lens, inside the eye? If the latter, they are cataracts. If they are on the surface, it is most likely mucus.

Here is an article on fish eye health that may give you some background:

Jay

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell - are the white spots on the eye's surface, or beneath the lens, inside the eye? If the latter, they are cataracts. If they are on the surface, it is most likely mucus.

Here is an article on fish eye health that may give you some background:

Jay
It certainly appears to be on the surface of both eyes (first pic). But it looks like a very small spot rather than cloudiness or an injury. Just rechecked water: no ammonia & nitrate is only 10, which would imply to me no recent ammonia spike (?). Very good article…will keep that one tagged. I’m stumped unless it’s early flukes/ich? All fish were QT.

Attachments

• IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly appears to be on the surface of both eyes (first pic). But it looks like a very small spot rather than cloudiness or an injury. Just rechecked water: no ammonia & nitrate is only 10, which would imply to me no recent ammonia spike (?). Very good article…will keep that one tagged. I’m stumped unless it’s early flukes/ich? All fish were QT.

Probably not cataracts then. Neobenedenia flukes can cause white spots on the outer eyes of fish, but clownfish are not really prone to those, and then, the flukes would affect all fish, not just one clownfish.

If it is bacterial, treatment in a hospital tank with Maracyn 1 / Erythromycin often works, but you may just want to wait and see what develops. The main issue is if the spots get too large, the clown won't be able to see its food well.

Jay

OP
OP
KaiPono

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a week and from what I can see both eyes are now clear! Assuming it might have been a slight injury either from pestering the pistol shrimp or water quality if it cleared that fast? Hard to know, but I greatly appreciate the insights from you both! Love having R2R experts on call as I learn.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back