Clown with Bacteria infection?

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earlier this week, I made a post about my new Yellow Eye'd tang getting, a weird skin issue. He didnt make it beyond 24 hours, (Bought on Saturday, noticed it Monday, dead Tue Morning) however the consensuses was it was a bacteria infection.

Because I am a big 'ole dummy, I didnt QT him with I got him, and only removed him from the DT after noticing the symptoms. So, after he didnt make it, i cleaned the QT tank, and went ahead an moved all of my fish in to it (2 Clowns, and a Blue Tang) after I noticed a small spot on one of the clowns. They have been in the 50 gal QT for about 36 hours and are being dosed with Kanaplex, Furna-2 and copper (just to be safe). (Per the directions, the have had 2 does of Furna-2, 24 hours apart, and 1 does of Kanaplex, Wednesday, with another does of Kanaplex due tonight.)

While 1 clown and the Blue tang appear to be fine, the clown with the spot appears visually to be getting worse. Any thoughts or suggestions? (I have never had to deal with type of infection before, so I am just not sure if its a 'oh it will take 48-72 hours before meds start working' or 'oh yeah it going to look like hell as the meds do their thing' or 'Meds aint working')

IMG_20200821_090918.jpg IMG_20200821_090918_1.jpg IMG_20200821_090921.jpg IMG_20200821_090923.jpg MVIMG_20200821_090922.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure looks like Brooklynella to me. Daily formalin dip at 150 ppm might help, but that chemical is difficult to find nowadays. Copper has limited benefit. Chloroquine might work, but again, you can't get that right now. Quick Cure used to be sold, and that would work, but I just checked and didn't see any for sale...

FWIW: here is an excerpt from my upcoming disease book on Brook:

Brooklynellosis

Cause

Brooklynellosis is caused by a ciliated protozoan, Brooklynella hostilis. It commonly affects wild-caught clownfish, thus its common name “clownfish disease.” Entire shipments of wild-caught clownfish have been lost to this infection. It is also seen commonly in angelfish and anthias and sometimes in butterflyfish and tangs.

Symptoms
Aquarists often miss the early symptoms of this malady in their fish, so by the time it’s identified, it’s often too late to save the specimen. The first signs of this disease may be limited to slightly folded fins combined with lethargy. Soon, skin mucus production increases, as does the fish’s breathing rate. The fish will then lose color, stop feeding, and hang in one location, with death following in a matter of hours.

Uronema often has similar symptoms, but a reddish underlying lesion is usually associated with that disease. Bacterial infections can produce similarly cloudy skin, but they typically do not result in rapid breathing. End-stage Cryptocaryon can sometimes be mistaken for Brooklynellosis, as well. Positive identification requires microscopic examination of a skin scraping. Look for medium-sized, barely motile protozoans that are ventrally flattened with a slightly domed dorsal side and have cilia mostly at one end.

Treatment
Few treatments are effective against Brooklynellosis, although two options include a 14-day chloroquine treatment at 15 mg/l or daily formalin dips at 150-167 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration. Reducing the specific gravity of the treatment tank may assist the fish in balancing the electrolytes lost due to skin and gill damage. A target specific gravity of 1.018 should be maintained during treatment.

Prevention
Acquiring captive-raised clownfish as opposed to wild-caught ones is a good way to help prevent outbreaks of this disease. Also, Brooklynellosis is much easier to manage in a quarantine aquarium than in your main display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Common in clowns mainly. Tank water conditions will be of importance

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week, I made a post about my new Yellow Eye'd tang getting, a weird skin issue. He didnt make it beyond 24 hours, (Bought on Saturday, noticed it Monday, dead Tue Morning) however the consensuses was it was a bacteria infection.

Because I am a big 'ole dummy, I didnt QT him with I got him, and only removed him from the DT after noticing the symptoms. So, after he didnt make it, i cleaned the QT tank, and went ahead an moved all of my fish in to it (2 Clowns, and a Blue Tang) after I noticed a small spot on one of the clowns. They have been in the 50 gal QT for about 36 hours and are being dosed with Kanaplex, Furna-2 and copper (just to be safe). (Per the directions, the have had 2 does of Furna-2, 24 hours apart, and 1 does of Kanaplex, Wednesday, with another does of Kanaplex due tonight.)

While 1 clown and the Blue tang appear to be fine, the clown with the spot appears visually to be getting worse. Any thoughts or suggestions? (I have never had to deal with type of infection before, so I am just not sure if its a 'oh it will take 48-72 hours before meds start working' or 'oh yeah it going to look like hell as the meds do their thing' or 'Meds aint working')

IMG_20200821_090918.jpg IMG_20200821_090918_1.jpg IMG_20200821_090921.jpg IMG_20200821_090923.jpg MVIMG_20200821_090922.jpg
Hi Woog, how did the treatments go... how are your fishes now? Any experiences you could share?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back