Clown with stringy poop

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if the photos aren’t the best but the little bugger won’t stay still!
I took on this pair of clowns and the female keeps having really stringy poop but the male is completely fine. She is still eating and behaving normally so I just wondered the best way to treat her or whether to just continue to monitor her. She has had this on and off for around a week.

CED552E7-2B64-45BC-B40A-CA908ABD7948.jpeg 2E6D03C4-D995-400E-AD88-19D64571B370.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    653.6 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you by chance feeding them brine shrimp, mysis shrimp or both ?
If so, these foods often mimic internal issues

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fed a mix of this pellet feed, frozen mysis and a frozen marine mix is there anything you think I could do to help / change diet wise?
image.jpg

TheReefIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be internal parasite/worm issues? have you considered trying Praziquantel? or feed any of the anti bacteria food?

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about it but was reluctant as unsure what to use that’s safe for the tank and other inhabitants. I’m in the UK so would need to see what we have over here as I know we don’t always have access to everything meds wise

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about it but was reluctant as unsure what to use that’s safe for the tank and other inhabitants. I’m in the UK so would need to see what we have over here as I know we don’t always have access to everything meds wise
Sometimes, mucus feces are idiopathic - no real cause. They can also be caused by overfeeding with mysids. Frozen adult brine shrimp can act as roughage, and help clean them out. Mucus can also be caused by protozoans, bacteria and coccidia. Worms don't cause this, even though the mucus looks kind of alike a worm.

This article I posted here discusses a bit about mucus feces (click on the PDF on the ribght of the page):

Jay

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Str
How is the clown now?
Strange you should ask today! She had been absolutely fine up until this morning, she seemed to completely loose her balance and my bicolour blenny started to peck at her! Took her out and put her into quarantine and she appears to be going downhill fast. All other tank mates seem fine still as do my corals. I checked parameters and we was before so I think this is likely all linked?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Str

Strange you should ask today! She had been absolutely fine up until this morning, she seemed to completely loose her balance and my bicolour blenny started to peck at her! Took her out and put her into quarantine and she appears to be going downhill fast. All other tank mates seem fine still as do my corals. I checked parameters and we was before so I think this is likely all linked?
And how is her feces, still white/stringy all these past weeks?
Has she lost weight?

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how is her feces, still white/stringy all these past weeks?
Has she lost weight?
She has passed away today unfortunately she has had periods of stringy white and stringy brown faeces but put I’d down to idiopathic mucous as all other aspects of the fish seemed fine. She did not loose any weight, if anything she looked slightly bloated today and had up until this morning been eating really well. Both clown fish did have weird translucent patches on them a few weeks back but again I chalked this up to stings from my frogspawn which they had been trying to host. These marks had completely gone after around a week and so I do not think they were linked to her passing as it was a while back now

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back