Clown Wrasse hiding for 2 weeks

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got a clown wrasse from Blue Zoo Aquatics a couple of weeks ago and he’s been hiding constantly. He’ll float out of the rock very rarely, but pretty much goes right back to hiding. He doesn’t seem injured, but I never see him eat. I’ll attach a picture. He doesn’t seem to be laboring to breathe or anything, though it’s hard to really examine him at all. I pretty much just leave him alone. I’ve tried to put some food near him a couple of times, but that obviously hasn’t done anything except probably stress him more. I’ll attach a pic— it’s a good representation of how he hides.
A3044D0A-4A11-4CED-B3BA-024EC1CE8A66.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I introduce a new wrasse they usually hide out in the rocks for the first week until they get a little bolder. I don't think basting a bit of food near him is going to stress him out (they need to get used to feeders anyway). He may be going out to forage for food when the lights are out and you're not watching.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got a clown wrasse from Blue Zoo Aquatics a couple of weeks ago and he’s been hiding constantly. He’ll float out of the rock very rarely, but pretty much goes right back to hiding. He doesn’t seem injured, but I never see him eat. I’ll attach a picture. He doesn’t seem to be laboring to breathe or anything, though it’s hard to really examine him at all. I pretty much just leave him alone. I’ve tried to put some food near him a couple of times, but that obviously hasn’t done anything except probably stress him more. I’ll attach a pic— it’s a good representation of how he hides.
A3044D0A-4A11-4CED-B3BA-024EC1CE8A66.jpeg
Which coris soecies is this?
Is it Coris aygula, Coris gaimard or Coris formosa?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Zoo had it labeled as Cirrhilabrus solorensis
This is where it gets confusing as there are 3 species that used to be called Solorensis, those three are;
- C. solorensis
- C. aquamarinus
- C. chalasai

From the looks of the photo you have Cirrhilabrus solorensis which IME is slightly shyer when newly added.

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where it gets confusing as there are 3 species that used to be called Solorensis, those three are;
- C. solorensis
- C. aquamarinus
- C. chalasai

From the looks of the photo you have Cirrhilabrus solorensis which IME is slightly shyer when newly added.

I’m Starting to suspect a spinal injury. I just saw him try to swim around and his tail looks like dead weight. He was really lethargic and similar when I got him but I thought it was just stress. Probably not a great prognosis on this I’d imagine

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Starting to suspect a spinal injury. I just saw him try to swim around and his tail looks like dead weight. He was really lethargic and similar when I got him but I thought it was just stress. Probably not a great prognosis on this I’d imagine
A bent tail may not mean spinal injury but also may mean UKWD (Unknown Wrasse Disease) which has stayed hidden for a while as it tends to disguise itself as a spinal injury.
I unfortunately can’t see the video as I’m on my phone, if you can then posting the video from YouTube and linking it will work.

OP
OP
R

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bent tail may not mean spinal injury but also may mean UKWD (Unknown Wrasse Disease) which has stayed hidden for a while as it tends to disguise itself as a spinal injury.
I unfortunately can’t see the video as I’m on my phone, if you can then posting the video from YouTube and linking it will work.

He unfortunately passed this morning. I appreciate all the help!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back