Clownfish acting Funky

emmaplatte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added clownfish on Sunday + he was only hanging out in one spot next to the wave maker - I moved it to the corner and pointed it up but he still looks like he’s struggling against the current and is back in the left corner again. does this mean the flow is too much or does he just like it over there? Not sure if he’s swimming weirdly too?
My GSP also closed up Friday and hasn't opened since. It has plenty of flow, salinity is good + I used my finger to gently brush algae off of it last Friday. Could my snail be messing with it? I also teach science so this is in my classroom and I know some kids were messing with the wave maker and wondering if that could have disrupted it? Wondering how long until it'll open back up and if it will... As an update - it started opening back up a little bit - about 2 polyps. But I wonder if it’ll take awhile after moving the wave maker again?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I got my clowns which were my first fish to be in a tank with a wavemaker, it was set way too high. They way they talk about highflow on youtube paints a different picture to people who don't have a lot of experience.

What looked to me like good flow pre coral and pre fish, was my pump set at 80% when it turns out 33% is borderline too much, I just had no point of reference yet.

However, these fish can handle some rediculous water movement, so if it seems to be struggling, it may be indicative of another issue, some diseases make them want to swim in flow like a treadmill, sometimes they are just stressed and are not adjusting to the water movement.

Go with your gut, it will just take time for you to lock in on what flow looks like. And as for GSP, I've seen it stay closed up for a while after getting mad about flow, so it might just be a case of wait it out.

Does the clown eat?

OP
OP
E

emmaplatte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I got my clowns which were my first fish to be in a tank with a wavemaker, it was set way too high. They way they talk about highflow on youtube paints a different picture to people who don't have a lot of experience.

What looked to me like good flow pre coral and pre fish, was my pump set at 80% when it turns out 33% is borderline too much, I just had no point of reference yet.

However, these fish can handle some rediculous water movement, so if it seems to be struggling, it may be indicative of another issue, some diseases make them want to swim in flow like a treadmill, sometimes they are just stressed and are not adjusting to the water movement.

Go with your gut, it will just take time for you to lock in on what flow looks like. And as for GSP, I've seen it stay closed up for a while after getting mad about flow, so it might just be a case of wait it out.

Does the clown eat?
Yeah the clown is eating - it’s a 10 gallon with a mini wave maker it really doesn’t seem like it’s that much flow & unfortunately it’s not adjustable so it’s just set at 1 speed but it’s made for a 5-10 gallon tank. The clown is just weirdly hanging out in the one top corner pretty close to the surface - seems healthy otherwise- when I feed him he’ll venture out a little bit but it’s weird- seems like there’s plenty of low flow areas in the tank + there’s plenty of live rock to hide in

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the clown is eating - it’s a 10 gallon with a mini wave maker it really doesn’t seem like it’s that much flow & unfortunately it’s not adjustable so it’s just set at 1 speed but it’s made for a 5-10 gallon tank. The clown is just weirdly hanging out in the one top corner pretty close to the surface - seems healthy otherwise- when I feed him he’ll venture out a little bit but it’s weird- seems like there’s plenty of low flow areas in the tank + there’s plenty of live rock to hide in

My clowns hang out at the surface when lights go out. Could be that? His nesting spot for now?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back