Clownfish acting strange

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know how clownfish behave before laying? I have recently added another clownfish to the tank, and in the last couple of days, I've noticed my old clownfish behaving strange, he/she has been swimming very close to the sand bed in the corners, not been eating, breathing really fast and I've also noticed he/she has been hiding in a cave which he/she has never done. Ever, does anyone know if this is normal behaviour or is he/she poorly?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating, hiding and breathing fast can be the initial stages of a parasitical infection, or is simply stressed out at the new changes.
Watch carefully, shell weaken if not eating in the next few days and would need to come out with everyone else into a small QT environment so they can be dealt with accordingly.
Just keep a close eye on any changes, may just resolve itself.
It’s hard to treat anything we can’t diagnos.
When mine lay eggs, they are super active and the nem, is never unguarded.

Last edited:

View Badges
Does it try to bite you if you put your hand in the tank? As long as it’s vicious it’s probably healthy.

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating, hiding and breathing fast can be the initial stages of a parasitical infection, or is simply stressed out at the new changes.
Watch carefully, shell weaken if not eating in the next few days and would need to come out with everyone else into a small QT environment so they can be dealt with accordingly.
Just keep a close eye on any changes, may just resolve itself.
It’s hard to treat anything we can’t diagnos.
When mine lay eggs, they are super active and the nem, is never unguarded.
Hmm, I mean it's only this clownfish, all others seem fine and active, the new clown will come and sit with them in the corner for abit before swimming off. Hopefully it's just a little stressed with the presence of the new clown (alot smaller btw)

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it try to bite you if you put your hand in the tank? As long as it’s vicious it’s probably healthy.
Maybe it's withdrawn symptoms it bit my hand last night when I took a dying coral out, I understand dying coral and stressed fish might scream at you but everything else seems happy and fine. I'll check my parameters tomorrow

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I mean it's only this clownfish, all others seem fine and active, the new clown will come and sit with them in the corner for abit before swimming off. Hopefully it's just a little stressed with the presence of the new clown (alot smaller btw)
Your right, just maybe a social issue, which needs some time.
But must eat.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back