OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No some where like a cream color some darker, definitly a difference in the eggs she laid and he picked off the lighter ones , so he is doing a good job I guess lol

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came home to a huge nest #3 tonight we will see how many make it this time, gonna start getting a rotifer colony goin i think, two other pairs i have are showing pre spawning behaviors yeah

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohooo! Just keep doing what you are doing, the parents will get it down and by nest 6 or 8 you should have some solid fish.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another nest today its a big one but they laid.in morning and not the usually later in the evenig

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and again stupid male eating them up, i womder if hes not fertalizing them well enough

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hes well into 5 years but when i got him he was suppose to be female, its only till i threw him into the tank with the larger female he took the male positon. i am thinking he was a juvenile? or never turned a sex cause he was never forced too? or maybe he just that new to fertilizing the eggs. i will say this last batch by the morning of day 2 there were so many dark orange eggs and leas of the real pale colored ones so maybe he finally getting it down and fertilizing better.

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs should go from orange to almost black after a couple of days...if everything is going well.

sent from my Samsung Note 8 on tapatalk

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this time more of the shaw got super dark , so I think he's a slow learner

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant to say was, on day 2 a lot of the eyes where really dark as opose to.the other nest where a few where , I think this.male.is a slow learner needless she's layoff and he's trying hopefully Hell get better she's every 8 days

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it turns out that the male continues to eat his eggs he only leaves about 15 to 20 eggs after her large clutch. I'm not sure if I should switch the male or leave him in there and see what happens. I'm getting a little frustrated if anybody could give me some insight would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I don't check is the PH you think that could be causing them to die I do add buffer to my makeup water so I assume it should be around 8.2. I do not have a pH test kit

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that he leaves 15-20 eggs suggests that he does not have a problem with eating eggs and that he is simply picking off the bad ones.

Are you able to get the ones left to hatch?

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not even tried I didn't think it was worth pulling such a small.amount. maybe I should try I guess. He I'm gonna send you my number if you coupd give me yours if I do decode to pull a hatch it will be my first go.at it maybe I can talk to you for.5 min and get some pionters

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She laid another huge batch this time she laid it in he front of the pot instead of the back, wonder why either way I think I am going to pull the male and hope that a new one will do a better job I.might if I can get a decent male snowflake ill throw him in there

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if it is the male.. They eat the bad eggs so they don't get fungus and kill the others. It could be the female laying bad eggs.. Lots of times their are bad females or bad pairs. Problems comes with these designer clown fish because allot of times they are inbred and they are defective traits to begin with. When I buy pairs I actually try to get one each from different places if I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own food its fresh seafood with , cyclo, mandarin roe, seaweed etc. I add vitamins and selcon. People say to feed heavy but alot of food goes wasted when I do and end up doing alot if water changes, my fish at times don't seem hungry and other times they eat everything. My sg 1.018 and temp are 86 only one pair is breeding and hey eat their eggs before hatch time , swollen actually he leaves about 50 alone. I have anoher picasso pair that was breeding stoped when I moved to my house and its been about 2 minus can't get her to fatten up. I also have a pair for a year now nothing. I wonder maybe raising the sg would help alittle maybe even lower the temps. People say low sg and high temps ramps them up I don't see that everyone who is breeding is sitting around .20 and 82-84 degrees

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pairs are breeding right now at 0.020-0.022 and 82-83. Not swings... Just have two systems experimenting with best conditions and both are breeding in those ranges.

50%+ protein diet can really fatten fish up..

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if taking a pot with eggs from a pair amd placing it into another pairs tank would cause a currently non laying pair to start back up. i have a picasso pair that i bought that have laid and has been many months without any luck on my end, what do you guys think. would this freak out the pair i stole from and would the new pair eat or just be confused?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back