Clownfish Black spots ?

Peter_B2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

good day to you all,

Anyone know what this is on the clownfish - the black specks ? Any cause of concern or treatment needed? Or is it just from the hammerhead coral?

thanks

D5A31713-DAF2-4283-8345-F11A72C40EBD.jpeg CFAC9BBB-B78D-4DB7-80F2-732BC10B4C30.jpeg

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see anything concerning in that photo, except maybe some white spots that could just be sand.

Is it the blotch under the eye? That just looks like pigment to me.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

good day to you all,

Anyone know what this is on the clownfish - the black specks ? Any cause of concern or treatment needed? Or is it just from the hammerhead coral?

thanks

D5A31713-DAF2-4283-8345-F11A72C40EBD.jpeg CFAC9BBB-B78D-4DB7-80F2-732BC10B4C30.jpeg
I have read about it somewhere.It is quite common for Clown fish to present with black spots (hypermelinization) after exposure to corals that the Clown does not normally reside in. To build up the mucous layer on the surface of the skin the Clown must repeatedly expose the surface to coral or anemone. Many times this is corals of the Euphyllia genus, Torch, Hammer and Frogspawn. It's easy to see why a Clown might try to take up residents as the corals looks like a Clowns natural host, but come with powerful sweeper tentacles. In this case, they should act normal. See what they r hosting. There is also a worm, called a turbellarian, that will cause black spots on fish. Clownfish sometimes get that but it usually isn't fatal for them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back