Clownfish bloated, newly bulging eyes

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to start out I need to admit to not having been monitoring my tank very well due to some health issues. I’ve got a decent bit of an algae overrun, mostly hair but some red algae that I tentatively think may be cyano. Doing twice weekly ten percent water changes to try to get things back on track. My clown yesterday was noticeably bloated and through the day I noticed some flared bills and a little bit of rapid breathing. I dosed general cure in the tank and she seemed to be a bit better towards the evening, swimming freely with her mate, a bit more alert. I just checked on her again a bit ago and her eyes are now bulging. Perimeters all seem pretty steady but I’m on my way to my LFS for more specific testing as I only have API and don’t always trust my judgement reading it. It’s all happened so quickly. Neither her mate or the neon goby seem to be having any issues. I don’t know what to do and the combo of her eyes and bloating is scaring me. I’ve made peace with my potential losing her but if anyone knows anything that could help I would really appreciate it.

1C37ED1D-6429-45B4-A718-9E8046A61B03.jpeg 380E9FAB-36EE-4469-8DF3-8AC905B85A13.jpeg BCA8750C-3E83-46DB-9A9F-803AC2A4E4C2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess to start out I need to admit to not having been monitoring my tank very well due to some health issues. I’ve got a decent bit of an algae overrun, mostly hair but some red algae that I tentatively think may be cyano. Doing twice weekly ten percent water changes to try to get things back on track. My clown yesterday was noticeably bloated and through the day I noticed some flared bills and a little bit of rapid breathing. I dosed general cure in the tank and she seemed to be a bit better towards the evening, swimming freely with her mate, a bit more alert. I just checked on her again a bit ago and her eyes are now bulging. Perimeters all seem pretty steady but I’m on my way to my LFS for more specific testing as I only have API and don’t always trust my judgement reading it. It’s all happened so quickly. Neither her mate or the neon goby seem to be having any issues. I don’t know what to do and the combo of her eyes and bloating is scaring me. I’ve made peace with my potential losing her but if anyone knows anything that could help I would really appreciate it.

1C37ED1D-6429-45B4-A718-9E8046A61B03.jpeg 380E9FAB-36EE-4469-8DF3-8AC905B85A13.jpeg BCA8750C-3E83-46DB-9A9F-803AC2A4E4C2.jpeg
Pics under white lighting would be more helpful but symptoms this fish suggests bacterial or fungal issue as dropsy and bloating often associated with popeye which is what you are seeing.
Treament will need to be done in a quarantine/hospital tank using seachem Kanaplex which addresses both issue and with added aeration via air stone during treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pics under white lights would help. Can you see gas/air in the bulging eyes?

Jay

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully these are a bit better. not sure about the gas but possibly?

Attachments

• 28AAF9BC-5590-4555-ABC1-9E30C086B921.jpeg
    28AAF9BC-5590-4555-ABC1-9E30C086B921.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 38
  • AE292664-79D9-4208-995C-8181EFFD5857.jpeg
    AE292664-79D9-4208-995C-8181EFFD5857.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, bit scrambled and panicked so i forgot to quote. i appreciate your help so much

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had saltwater fish with Popeye, but I’ve had freshwater fish with popeye before and this looks just like it. I really hope she gets better, she’s a pretty little clown.

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, she’s a sweet little thing, loved trying to eat out of my hand and always playing. got her as a juvenile almost exactly a year ago.

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics under white lighting would be more helpful but symptoms this fish suggests bacterial or fungal issue as dropsy and bloating often associated with popeye which is what you are seeing.
Treament will need to be done in a quarantine/hospital tank using seachem Kanaplex which addresses both issue and with added aeration via air stone during treatment.
hi there - hoping you’re available to respond. I’m getting kanaplex now, but I’m needing to do an emergency set up for my QT. my main tank has both peppermint shrimp and snails which I’m reading can’t handle the treatment. Is there anything you’d recommend for a rapid set up for a QT?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hi there - hoping you’re available to respond. I’m getting kanaplex now, but I’m needing to do an emergency set up for my QT. my main tank has both peppermint shrimp and snails which I’m reading can’t handle the treatment. Is there anything you’d recommend for a rapid set up for a QT?
While you can use tank water, a starter kit at walmart gives you most of the essentials needed for a treatment tank at a fair price. Match temperature and remove any carbon before treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to try and rule out gas supersaturation - if it is that, you will see silver air bubbles in the eye. I don’t see that, so I would go forward with antibiotics then.
Jay

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ended up needing to euthanize - she deteriorated fast enough to where i didn’t feel comfortable pursuing treatment. Quite heartbroken, but I appreciate the advice and now have treatments ready if it ever happens again.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ended up needing to euthanize - she deteriorated fast enough to where i didn’t feel comfortable pursuing treatment. Quite heartbroken, but I appreciate the advice and now have treatments ready if it ever happens again.
I’m sorry to hear. Losing a pet is the worst. <3

OP
OP
noyowo

noyowo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear. Losing a pet is the worst. <3
thank you ❤️ yeah, it’s far and away one of the heavier things i’ve had to navigate, and that’s saying something. i keep looking over watching my other clown and projecting my grief into him which is really just silly. I’m very grateful I found this little community of people who don’t roll their eyes when I cry over a fish haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back