Clownfish breeding attempt.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really thought of a constant drip from the display into a fry tank. That's a pretty good idea and I'm curious to see how it works for you.

NeilW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along too. Best of luck with this and I too like the drip approach you have in place. I have a pair of clowns who have been breeding regularly in my main display. I may look to do something similar to you next time around.

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really thought of a constant drip from the display into a fry tank. That's a pretty good idea and I'm curious to see how it works for you.
I can't take all the credit for it, I saw it once on another forum and can't remember the site/user I saw this setup from. Seems to work well though!

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7- couple more mortalities. I'm growing out some brine shrimp for tomorrow.
IMG_2505.jpg IMG_2528.jpg IMG_2527.jpg

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 9-
No more mortalities, I counted 46! Most are hunting brine but I'm still feeding them rotifers. I was hoping to see more signs of mid-metamorphosis (head stripes and swimming patterns), I guess they're just late bloomers.

The fry are all developing a darker pigment on their bodies, almost black, which is different from what I've seen on other forums at this stage.

I was looking at my Darwin female, and think she might be a "Photon" given the markings. I've been reading that the Darwin Ocellaris are genetically different- considering that they have resided in a particular region where the genetic tree has distinguished itself from other Ocellaris. Supposedly they rarely breed with other Ocellaris. Also, the photon is a Percula x Ocellaris hybrid, maybe this is what she is? Either way she is HUGE, 4.5-5", and at least 7 years old.

Needless to say I'm happy they can produce viable offspring... They have another batch of eggs that will hatch in 2-3 days, hmm should I start up another grow-out tank?:rolleyes:
IMG_2561.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back