Clownfish bullying

Haroon7861

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2022
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair of clownfish for about 4 years now, one female which of course being larger than the male - they’ve lived peacefully together and the female occasionally had showed its dominance. But the strangest thing is out of the blue the male has started bullying the female like he’s nipping her, chases her till she hides into a rock and does not let her eat either. Everywhere I’ve researched I’ve neard of a male bullying a female as it’s normally opposite. I understand males can get aggressive when ready to breed but not like this thought right? Also the female does look like she is ready to breed either. The female looks really stressed out - face went all white the other day and fins frayed.
 
Something looks like a real life situations were the two just can’t stand each other . Maybe im wrong but I would move the female to a place to get healthy
 
I’ve had a pair of clownfish for about 4 years now, one female which of course being larger than the male - they’ve lived peacefully together and the female occasionally had showed its dominance. But the strangest thing is out of the blue the male has started bullying the female like he’s nipping her, chases her till she hides into a rock and does not let her eat either. Everywhere I’ve researched I’ve neard of a male bullying a female as it’s normally opposite. I understand males can get aggressive when ready to breed but not like this thought right? Also the female does look like she is ready to breed either. The female looks really stressed out - face went all white the other day and fins frayed.
Is she showing any signs of sickness? sometimes in a pair when one senses a weaker mate the other will bully them basically until death from injury or starvation. I’ve heard that from multiple people over the years and I think it has some merit to it. May not be the whole reason in this case but there may be something. Deeper going on
 
Male wants to become a female for some reason. Maybe the current female is old or unhealthy so the male wants to take its place as the dominant female.
 
Thanks for the replies, I think you good be right - it sounds very rare but I think the male tried to challenge to be a female which might have started the pairing process. it’s really strange as there weren’t any signs of weakness or illness tho, until I noticed the bullying. I’ve just come to tank this evening however and I’ve tried to have look to find the female but no where to be seen, got a bit worried so took all the rocks out thinking I might it dead under the rocks but nothing, nothing on the flooor or internal sump or signs or remains. I’m thinking to myself there’s no way the male might have eaten her.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new