Clownfish changing colors

Jp21921

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish and they were all bright orange and white. Now both are changing with more black on them and a little orange towards their face. It happened suddenly. They seem fine, swimming and very active. Is this normal?

B221D042-CF19-40E7-8858-06252E0F1B9A.jpeg

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of captive bred clownfish that were introduced in my tank in January 2018. The orange on one of them started changing to black over half a year ago. It now is orange on the top and black on the bottom (no changes to the white bands). Meanwhile, the other has maintained the same colors.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They change with age. Don't we all?
Seriously, yes completely normal as stated. Mine are getting super dark and really contrasting. Usually, this is a good thing. I guess some like the juvenile colors better though. Can't stay young except at heart.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can also depend on the variety of clowns you have. I have a pair of Mocha clowns that started out orange and turn darker with age. Hence the name "Mocha" . My black ice clowns started black with orange face which eventually turned all black. And with all the designer clowns available now it is hard to tell what they my end up looking like when they mature.

TimCW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair I've had for about 2 years. One changed color, the larger female now, and the other is still bright orange. I'm guessing he's the smaller male now. Quite normal as far as I know.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male and female B&W clowns. As the female was transitioning, I started out with an orange face, as it continued to age, it ended up all black.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bonus points, feed the clowns some TDO reef nutrition pellets. Some say it helps bring out the colors more in clowns.
Second this

feed them TDO chromaboost consistently, and in 4-6 weeks, the oranges are going to POP!

my magnificent fox face and my purple tang benefit too- amazing yellows and reds compared to my older feed.

Back