Clownfish chasing just added clownfish. Courtship or aggression?

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,665
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the white clownfish (platinum percula) for about a month, and I just added these 3 clownfish. The white would only be on the top right corner, but as soon as these were added, his behavior changed. I can't tell if he wants to mate or kill the new clownfish.

I have 2 anemones in the tank right now. I added the green bubble tip today when I purchased the new clowns. The white one never went in any anemone since being added in this aquarium.

 
FYI it seems like he's only aggressive with that one clownfish. I don't know any of their sexes.
 
They shouldn’t have a sex yet and aggression is perfectly normal. Imagine if someone dumped a stranger in your home.
 
4 clowns in a tank at different size and not from the same clutch? It's just a matter of time before they fight to the death with only 2 remaining.
 
They shouldn’t have a sex yet and aggression is perfectly normal. Imagine if someone dumped a stranger in your home.

Seems you're right. He mellowed out after a few hours. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new