Clownfish & Condy Anenome

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a neon green condy anenome at LFS. Looked like a green torch coral, so beautiful. The guy said clowns won’t typically host these, and they don’t really “split” like BTAs do, but the BTA they had was quarter sized and $250 lol.

no experience with these anemones and clowns. Anyone ever had a pair host one, and also can I expect these to multiply or no?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consensus is they will not host clowns/ clowns won’t host them. No personal experience but that’s what my research says. . .
I was gonna say the same thing.
I’m sure there are cases out there, clowns will host anything, but I wouldn’t expect it.
BTA or LTA are the most likely candidates for occys.
Mine hosts a torch anyway.
Don’t just get a nem for a clown though, get it because you want it in your tank!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sometimes* clownfish will use a condydactylis, but it is very unusual, and the clownfish are at risk of being eaten. In the wild, ocellaris are usually hosted by ritteri, gigantea carpets, and merten's carpets. Sometimes they will be hosted by LTAs or BTAs, but they are just as likely to use a powerhead. I hope that this helps!

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dozen plus years ago I had a tomato clown that just loved his two condy nems.

CLOWN 4.jpg

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say the same thing.
I’m sure there are cases out there, clowns will host anything, but I wouldn’t expect it.
BTA or LTA are the most likely candidates for occys.
Mine hosts a torch anyway.
Don’t just get a nem for a clown though, get it because you want it in your tank!
Oh I got the nem because I immediately fell in love with it. Didn’t know what nem I was coming home with but this little dude was in the back of the tank and only bright green one. $30 dude at LFS gave me his # told me to text him if/when I was ready to upgrade, would buy it back from me and help with picking out next one. It looks soooo good in the tank really hoping it doesn’t cause too much trouble. Unfortunately it picked a spot kind of difficult to see. Might slowly arrange the rocks around it to see if I can make her more visible. I say her because my daughter named her Anna from Frozen. We now have Elsa and Dori the clown pair and Anna the anenome…

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back