Clownfish, developed swelling/black spot, now worms are coming out of it?

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is the best video I could get of the problem. The fish has developed a weird blackspot, I thought it was just gaining more spots. Now tubes/worms are coming out of it? They are white. Any idea what it is and what I can do to treat this immediately?

#fishmedic #fishmedics

Attachments

• 20220826_114225.mp4
    58.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't worms, that is mucus. I can't tell you the cause of it though (there are a few - some serious, some not).

What did the "black spot" look like, did it protrude from the skin and then rupture?
Are there other clownfish in with this fish?
How long have you had this fish?

Jay

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better video :( I have had this fish for 6+ months, its with its buddy. Nothing new has been added to tank in awhile. @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• 20220826_115607.mp4
    42 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better video :( I have had this fish for 6+ months, its with its buddy. Nothing new has been added to tank in awhile. @Jay Hemdal

O.K., I can see the underlying lesion now. That looks deep seated in the muscle tissue. It could be bacterial or it could be protozoan (Uronema). the trouble is that in either case, there is no good way to direct the medication that deeply into the fish's tissues. You could try an antibiotic bath in a treatment tank, but there really isn't any way to treat these in your main tank. Then, if it *is* Uronema, there isn't any real cure for that. However, I don't see Uronema in clownfish very often.

Sorry that I can't give you better direction......

Jay

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the reply I wanted to hear T_T I appreciate the advice, what kind of antibotics might work for this? Is my other fish at risk being with it ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the reply I wanted to hear T_T I appreciate the advice, what kind of antibotics might work for this? Is my other fish at risk being with it ?
Broad spectrum gram negative antibiotics like Neoplex or Maracyn 2. There are others as well, depends a bit what your LFS has in stock. Just avoid those herbal tonics, they aren’t true antibiotics.
Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back