Clownfish diet?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to know what the #reefsquad is feeding their clownfish. Livefood, pellet, frozen, flakes etc. Trying to put together the perfect mix so please comment your favorite brands and mixes!

Thanks!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to know what the #reefsquad is feeding their clownfish. Livefood, pellet, frozen, flakes etc. Trying to put together the perfect mix so please comment your favorite brands and mixes!

Thanks!!
I've been feeding mine a cube of frozen mysis shrimp once a day. Seem happy and healthy

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish, including the clowns, are fed a mixture of flake and pellets via auto feeder in the morning. Then frozen mysis and brine in the evenings. They get some LRS every few days as well.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not part of the reef squad...

But I've been feeding Dr Tim's make your own frozen food with added garlic, mealworm, and river shrimp.

Fish seem happy and fat. I use three cubes a day for my tank. It's for 6 fish, and all are fat and happy.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my whole tank variety....believing it covers all bases. Alternating days of pellets, flakes, frozen black worms (wife won't let me keep live in the refrigerator), frozen mysis, frozen DIY blend, chopped table shrimp, and whenever I make tuna (using four cans), I rinse the cans in the tank, feeding the bits that come out of that.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my whole tank variety....believing it covers all bases. Alternating days of pellets, flakes, frozen black worms (wife won't let me keep live in the refrigerator), frozen mysis, frozen DIY blend, chopped table shrimp, and whenever I make tuna (using four cans), I rinse the cans in the tank, feeding the bits that come out of that.
That's quite the variety! Never heard of using tuna from a can but i think i'll try it!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish, including the clowns, are fed a mixture of flake and pellets via auto feeder in the morning. Then frozen mysis and brine in the evenings. They get some LRS every few days as well.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of flake food do you use?

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not part of the reef squad...

But I've been feeding Dr Tim's make your own frozen food with added garlic, mealworm, and river shrimp.

Fish seem happy and fat. I use three cubes a day for my tank. It's for 6 fish, and all are fat and happy.
I might have to give that a try!!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost exclusively feeding frozen..Hikari and PE mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, occasionally blood worms as a treat , nori (yeah I have had clowns that ate nori) and NLS pellets.
Hahahaha!!! My clown does seem to pick at algae around the tank but i've never tried nori haha. If they eat it, why not?

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, clowns will eat just about anything. They are among the least picky fish I have ever owned. You are good with with just about any carni/omnivore foods. Good luck!!!

Jim
That's very true! Just want to make sure I'm giving variety and wanted some more ideas as to what i should feed them.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to give that a try!!

It's pretty easy to make. Just. Make sure you put a piece of cardboard under the tray it could message with. The tray is flexible and WILL spill when you try to move it from where u made it to the freezer. I know this from experience.

They also sell grinders with garlic, peas, shrimp, meal worms, and a few other things to add to the food.

Each tray makes 90 cubes. It usually lasts me around a month to a month and a half. The fish get fed every day, or every other depending on if I remember.

Denniswbliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always though variety is the key to feeding all fish. I feed my fish a little of everything, at least I thought I did until I read this article. Tuna out of a can is new to me and also black worms. I have a small 40 gal reef so i have to really watch how much i feed. So i make my own frozen cubes. Each cube is made of 4 different foods, from mysis shrimp, red worms, omnivore delight, brine shrimp, silverside. I also feed pellets when I just want to mix it up. Each cube of food is 1ml. And I know I'm not feeding enough at any one time. The reason I do so, is so the fish on my reef do there jobs and forage. Every fish has a role and I learned if I over feed they refuge to play that role, not only that in a small system as a 40gal overfeeding can lead to several problems really fast.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back