Clownfish drew blood!

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jk no but seriously are clowns aggressive towards humans? I have two mocha storm clowns that have never lunged at me. But yesterday when I was cleaning my tank one of them literally tried to rip my finger off (overreacting lol ) I would like to add I have noticed for the past few days they do their little dance quite often. Could this be the reason why they are being hostile towards me? Mating etc

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns attacking your hands in the tank is more common than not. I can't put my hand in either tank without an immediate assault and every clown I've had before that did it too.

Upvote 1

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for me. I have the regular Ocellaris and it bites me whenever I put my hands in my tank. It's only the female that bites.

It actually draws blood whenever it bites the softer skin between my fingers. Feels and looks like minor scratches. So not bad.
I was so surprised when it first bit me that I splashed water everywhere :oops:

It gets annoying and every time I think of putting the pair in my other tank that I don't put my hands as often

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Vicious lol
ZomboMeme 18102020223210.jpg

Upvote 0

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero clue how Clownfish got that cutesy wrap. Oh “such a sweet little fishy”!!! My female is just plain mean. If I have bare hands in the tank she attacks viciously. Likes to bite right in the web between your fingers. She can’t be shewed away either. And this ain’t just one portion of the tank. The whole tank is hers to defend. Now ironically if I have any type of glove on she leaves me alone. She definitely has a taste for flesh. :oops: I’m thinking she has a little piranha in her.:p Then again, they are related to Damsels.
4B4A0644-87FF-40DA-B525-3BB197EF0338.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tomato clown in my first tank, she was a shark, bit hard everytime. The white Wyoming I have now has mellowed as she’s aged. She now eats food from my fingers and swims next to my hand when it’s in tank. Not all stay ferocious!

Upvote 0

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't know... my clown is weird. It eats from a tweezer. it eats from my fingers. it hangs out with the firefish. it used to be aggressive with the firefish but they are best buds now, so i thought the clown was super cool... but when my hands in the tank, he will randomly bite or nip at me. I don't know if it's being territorial or thinks the bubbles, hair, scars, etc on my hand are food, since it has obviously associated my hand with feeding time. If it's the latter i can still tolerate it lol. but if it's just biting my caause it's a dick, i'm gonna send it back soon.

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been nipped at before, when my clowns were like 2" each, i was cleaning a rock and I went to deep into their cave. They don't do it anymore, havent done it since, but whenever I stick my hand in the tank they come close: either defending their territory or theyre very friendly.

Upvote 0

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have a female clown that was ultra aggressive. Would bite one way trough the tank cleaning. So I tried to demonstrate this to my mom. Put my hand on the surface.. she came after me so fast that the momentum carried her under my palm straight out of the tank on the floor. Luckily she was fine. Sadly lost her to velvet.

Upvote 0

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a mated pair in my old 8ft tank. Both of them would go out of their way across all 8ft just to bite the .... out of you. Got so bad my wife started to refuse to put her hands in the tank for anything. She would laugh her butt off watching them lunge out of the water chasing my hands like piranha. More than a few times they would latch on the skin even out of the water like a pitbull lol. That's the God's honest truth how I eventually got them out of the tank to sell. Easiest two fish I ever caught out of a tank. I will never ever own another clown fish because of it. They're the spawn of Satan !

Upvote 0

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it’s a hit or miss I had a clown bite me once when doing a water change I moved my hand quickly and I knocked over a rock it hit the glass broke the tank and 20 gallons of water all over the floor...yep they bite!

Upvote 0

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female attacks as soon as my hand is in the water lol. Every time. Ended up naming her Jaws.

Upvote 0

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both of my clown pairs are biters. Like everyone else said, the females bite way more than the males. Sometimes it hurts but at this point, I’ve gotten used to it and expect it when I have to put my hands in the tank. My one female literally jumps out of the water to try to get me. She’s MEAN. ;Joyful

Upvote 0

learjet3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown instantly attacks a hand in the water. It occasionally causes bleeding. I use a net to fend her off while working in the tank.

Upvote 0

Revt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocelaris bites me every time I put my hand in the tank. I have to net her before I can do work. Even got a small chunk of my flesh once.

Upvote 0

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had my ocellaris in a 20 gallon, she attacked me relentlessly drawing blood on a few occasions. it feels like little electric shocks haha. now that shes in a 75 with other tankmates, she doesnt even come near me. its definitely a territorial thing.

Upvote 0

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoopid Clowns, only reason they exist in my tanks is because Damsels are worse.

My clowns are kept in check by triggers, Roy the Murdering B....rd HumuHumu Trigger (Remember Roy Rogers' horse???). One day Roy will grow up and eat them all, and I will quietly watch.

Upvote 0

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are built from hate, and fuelled by rage. They may be small, but their level of anger is vastly disproportionate to their size. Even the clowns that seem gentle, they're just waiting. Watching.

My maroon clown hasn't yet attacked me, but I know it's only time. At 2-2.5" it is by a large margin, the smallest fish I have. Nothing bothers it though. Not even the 18" moray goes near its den.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back