Clownfish fighting after water change

jco17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to saltwater aquariums and the first two fish I got were clownfish. I’ve had them for about 3 weeks now and they always got along fine until three days ago when I did a 4 gallon water change on my 40 gallon aquarium. During the water change I also took out the pump, heater, and protein skimmer to clean since they were getting covered in some algae. The next day I noticed one of the clownfish hiding in the corner behind the protein skimmer and the other kinda keeping it there like he had him cornered. He also seemed scared to eat. As the days go by I notice they’re almost back to their normal ways except I still see one attacking the other sometimes and I have to drop food on opposite sides of the tank or the mean one won’t let the other eat. I know it’s normal that one will try to assert dominance but the other ones fins are getting damaged. I’m also wondering if I stressed one out so much during the last water change and that’s why he started being aggressive or was it just a coincidence that they just now started trying to assert dominance?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to saltwater aquariums and the first two fish I got were clownfish. I’ve had them for about 3 weeks now and they always got along fine until three days ago when I did a 4 gallon water change on my 40 gallon aquarium. During the water change I also took out the pump, heater, and protein skimmer to clean since they were getting covered in some algae. The next day I noticed one of the clownfish hiding in the corner behind the protein skimmer and the other kinda keeping it there like he had him cornered. He also seemed scared to eat. As the days go by I notice they’re almost back to their normal ways except I still see one attacking the other sometimes and I have to drop food on opposite sides of the tank or the mean one won’t let the other eat. I know it’s normal that one will try to assert dominance but the other ones fins are getting damaged. I’m also wondering if I stressed one out so much during the last water change and that’s why he started being aggressive or was it just a coincidence that they just now started trying to assert dominance?
That is normal behaviour of clownfish,female just showing dominance to male. If u think it is getting worse, u can put female/aggressor in accumulation box for some days.

What type of clownfish do u hv?

OP
OP
J

jco17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal behaviour of clownfish,female just showing dominance to male. If u think it is getting worse, u can put female/aggressor in accumulation box for some days.

What type of clownfish do u hv?
Mocha gladiator and a black snowflake. I knew eventually one would try to assert dominance but from other posts on here I’ve seen people say if the fins are getting damaged then it’s better to separate them or replace one so I just wasn’t sure. It’s gotten better now though the one clownfish doesn’t have the other cornered anymore and they both swim all over now but the one still chases the other away from food. I assume that’s just normal though

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mocha gladiator and a black snowflake. I knew eventually one would try to assert dominance but from other posts on here I’ve seen people say if the fins are getting damaged then it’s better to separate them or replace one so I just wasn’t sure. It’s gotten better now though the one clownfish doesn’t have the other cornered anymore and they both swim all over now but the one still chases the other away from food. I assume that’s just normal though
If u see injury getting worse then u can isolate one with the help of a acclimation box

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back