Clownfish hanging out near bottom of tank + bruises on its head

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed as of late that my clownfish has been hanging around near the bottom of the tank. Every other fish is fine. I’ve noticed some pinkish bruises on its head too. Should I be worried. It’s eating fine.
CC4C7228-B8A5-49AE-A57C-AF0BB3C14246.jpeg
6883D981-D62C-4C5C-BC18-1F00F4A6EDC1.jpeg
here’s a video

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was the fish quarantined, what are you other parameters, how long have you had it? Other symptoms - breathing, etc. Is it getting better/worse/staying the same? How long has the color been like that? Any bullying?

It LOOKS like a bacterial infection - I would put it into a hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic. But some answers first would be nice. In any case - I would try to get a hospital tank set up. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish quarantined, what are you other parameters, how long have you had it? Other symptoms - breathing, etc. Is it getting better/worse/staying the same? How long has the color been like that? Any bullying?

It LOOKS like a bacterial infection - I would put it into a hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic. But some answers first would be nice. In any case - I would try to get a hospital tank set up. Hope this helps
I have some kanaplex. I’ve had it for about 2 weeks. It was not quarantined.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some kanaplex. I’ve had it for about 2 weeks. It was not quarantined.
Kanaplex would work. Increase oxygen, put it in a hospital tank - watching ammonia, etc. No carbon, etc. But - in the meantime - let's see what @Jay Hemdal thinks - he has seen some of these lesions in clowns of late. The 'redness'/'pinkness' is the worrisome thing to me.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure what to make about these "bruises". They show up on the white portions of a lot of clownfish here, but I've never noticed it on any clowns I've worked with. In some cases, the fish just gets better, in other cases the fish dies. However, those that die may have had other undiagnosed issues.

This fish is breathing perhaps a bit fast, but since it is still eating, that's a good sign.

Jay

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex would work. Increase oxygen, put it in a hospital tank - watching ammonia, etc. No carbon, etc. But - in the meantime - let's see what @Jay Hemdal thinks - he has seen some of these lesions in clowns of late. The 'redness'/'pinkness' is the worrisome thing to me.
Would treating the whole tank be bad?

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just not sure what to make about these "bruises". They show up on the white portions of a lot of clownfish here, but I've never noticed it on any clowns I've worked with. In some cases, the fish just gets better, in other cases the fish dies. However, those that die may have had other undiagnosed issues.

This fish is breathing perhaps a bit fast, but since it is still eating, that's a good sign.

Jay
The clownfish in question just chased my springeri damsel around the tank. It just acted complete different than how it was this morning. It also looks better than it did this morning.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I’ve also done some research on this website and found that a lot of designer clowns sometimes have similar discolouration on their bodies. Especially the white parts

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks @Jay Hemdal. I knew you had seem more of this than me:). I would say - the best thing would be to hold treatment - especially if it's getting better? as to using kanamycin in the display tank, its hard to know the exact volume of water and may affect your biological filter.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Jay Hemdal. I knew you had seem more of this than me:). I would say - the best thing would be to hold treatment - especially if it's getting better? as to using kanamycin in the display tank, its hard to know the exact volume of water and may affect your biological filter.
Tank is 32 gallongs

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
0A3866A9-FFA5-4364-834F-10201BF27A8F.jpeg

The fish has started swimming around more. It’s looking better every hour

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back