Clownfish has a few white spots

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is probably one of the most common questions, but I have been digging the interent for hours, eyes are strained and I can't figure it out. My clownfish has a few white spots and patches on one side of her body. None on fins. She's been breathing fast since yesterday and sitting around more, but other then that acting normal. I started noticing a white spot yesterday and thought it might be sand because she digs a lot. But I think im definitely seeing more today. I'm so confused. None of my other fish have it at all, and aren't breathing fast. It looks more like flukes from pictures I've seen more then any of the other diseases but ive never encountered a reef tank disease before. My other Clown is acting normal as well. I have her in a QT take for now. Well actually just a tank i had laying around and filled with my display tanks water, and an old sponge filter i had laying around. I actually had a QT cycling but the perameters are out of wack still(right when i need it). I tried a freshwater dip but she started laying on her side and almost stopped breathing so i freaked and took her out. Maybe lasted a minute, so not enough. She's back in the quarantine tank and has been normal for the last couple of hours. Has been less lazy actually and is swimming like a clown again, instead of sitting around. Also ive had her for about 3 weeks no issues. I bought her from someone rehoming her with a clown goby and the goby doesnt have any issues. I also got my other clownfish shortly after from a fish store. Is there any way something couldve lay doormant in him? He has no white spots, and isnt breathing fast. I'm so stressed. Also will my clown be ok In this tank for the meantime with just water changes and sponge filter? I dont want to make it worse. Also I circled the spots because theres some bubbles/algae/waste floating around In that tank that make it hard to tell a difference. Tried to include as much info as I can.
Calcium: 460 ppm
Mag: 1200
Kh: 10
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Ph: 8.2
Nitrate: 2 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 78°F

Screenshot_20230524_213424_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230524_213456_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230524_220159_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230524_220218_Gallery.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Diagnosis using photos taken under blue light is often difficult if not impossible. Based on the number and size of the spots, I believe it's premature to assume this is ich. Photos using white light for this and the other fish will be helpful. A short video will also help.
This could be mucus plugs, lymphosistis, or maybe ich or something else.. Observe closely to see if the spots increase in number or seem to move to other locations. Also, continue to monitor for abnormal behavior.
As you provide more info, we will continue to follow your post and hopefully determine what is happening.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Here is a thought m- the other clown is fine, ,this one has spots, but it also has some notches in its fins. That can often be from tankmate aggression. I suspect the first clown has been biting this one. Clownfish are pretty sly, they behave well while you are watching them, and then fight when you aren't around - so you have to diagnose that issue through secondary signs like this.

+1 on posting clear pics under white lights, a short video would be helpful as well.

Watch the ammonia level in that isolation tank!

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Diagnosis using photos taken under blue light is often difficult if not impossible. Based on the number and size of the spots, I believe it's premature to assume this is ich. Photos using white light for this and the other fish will be helpful. A short video will also help.
This could be mucus plugs, lymphosistis, or maybe ich or something else.. Observe closely to see if the spots increase in number or seem to move to other locations. Also, continue to monitor for abnormal behavior.
As you provide more info, we will continue to follow your post and hopefully determine what is happening.
Actually that is a white light, it's the light that comes with the fluval 5, it almost has a blue tint when the white light is on, and between that and my camera it gives it a blue cloudy tint. I can definitely upload some videos and try to get some better pictures. So around lunch I went home and turns out other clown has some white spots now. So definitely could be ick. Ive never had to deal with it on saltwater fish though, and seems like theres so many different diseases with those same symptoms. They were just to small for me to see originally but now I can see about 2 or 3 really tiny bumps of I strain my eyes. I took a video when he was still in my display tank so I'll upload that shortly, it's a lot more clear, but the spots are harder to see because hes tiny. He's not breathing fast though. They're both in QT. The white spots on my female haven't increased or decreased at all though. She's still breathing fast, but other then that still acting like her usual self. Is it time to try a freshwater dip again? I'm a bit nervous to after how it went last time. I'll upload some videos shortly when I have some wifi (on data atm).

OP
OP
F

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Here is a thought m- the other clown is fine, ,this one has spots, but it also has some notches in its fins. That can often be from tankmate aggression. I suspect the first clown has been biting this one. Clownfish are pretty sly, they behave well while you are watching them, and then fight when you aren't around - so you have to diagnose that issue through secondary signs like this.

+1 on posting clear pics under white lights, a short video would be helpful as well.

Watch the ammonia level in that isolation tank!

Jay
Thank you! Yah they've definitely been fighting a little bit. She has some bite marks on her head since last week but theyve started to slowly go away. I havent been seeing as much fighting as of recent though, but I'll definitely monitor them closer. Turns out the male now has some white spots too, I was just to blind to see them yesterday. I definitely will keep an eye on it and keep doing my daily water changes to keep the waste out. I'm going to upload some videos here shortly when I get some wifi.

OP
OP
F

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so bit of an update. Since other clown has been in he has less spots, and she has more. It almost looks like some type of parasite, and it wanted to host on her instead? I'm just making an assumption, because about 4 hours ago she hadnt changed from yesterday. She's a little lazier now too. I'm also not to sure what to do about my display tank now either, I have a lawnmower blenny and clown goby in there. Should I tear the tank apart and remove them also? It'll be pretty hard too catch them, they barely let me look at them for a second. But I definitely can if I take my rockwork apart.

OP
OP
F

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorter video that shows her facing me. You can see they kindve stick out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the huge size difference in the two clowns makes it less likely that the black one is being attacked.

The rapid breathing is more concerning to me than the white lesions are - those could be mucus or minor skin damage. It isn’t ich, and not likely to be Brooklynella.

Your water quality seems fine. Does the tank have good aeration?

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishenjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the huge size difference in the two clowns makes it less likely that the black one is being attacked.

The rapid breathing is more concerning to me than the white lesions are - those could be mucus or minor skin damage. It isn’t ich, and not likely to be Brooklynella.

Your water quality seems fine. Does the tank have good aeration?

Jay
They were both going at it pretty badly about a week ago, the male thinks he's bigger than he really is lol. His fins were actually a bit torn up but theyve been pretty friendly for a week and he healed up. The combination of the rapid breathing and white lesions is making me think it might be flukes, no? They aren't really swimming at the surface though. The aeration is pretty good in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 100 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back