Clownfish have stuff on their skin how do I treat it

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish have stuff on their skin I quarantined them it was after I bought a hammer coral and some zoas it appeared on them how do I help/save them had them for awhile don’t want them to die.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they have brooklynella which is a parasite. If you can make a trip to your LFS or get these shipped asap, purchase Ruby Reef Rally Pro and Hydroplex. It is best to set up a quarantine tank if you plan to have coral. Give the fish a 10 minute saltwater dip in Hydroplex which will kill the bugs on them and it is low stress. If you are able to purchase a small 10 gallon QT tank, run with an air stone, some PVC for hiding places, and add instant bacteria starter with media. I use a Tidal Filter.

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they have brooklynella which is a parasite. If you can make a trip to your LFS or get these shipped asap, purchase Ruby Reef Rally Pro and Hydroplex. It is best to set up a quarantine tank if you plan to have coral. Give the fish a 10 minute saltwater dip in Hydroplex which will kill the bugs on them and it is low stress. If you are able to purchase a small 10 gallon QT tank, run with an air stone, some PVC for hiding places, and add instant bacteria starter with media. I use a Tidal Filter.
I have them in a QT tank atm does will Brook die off in my main tank or no? Is it the same as Ich no host no survival?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the tank cycled? Why is there no rock in the tank? What kind of filtration are you running? How long has the tank been running?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in a QT tank atm does will Brook die off in my main tank or no? Is it the same as Ich no host no survival?
If you have put them in your display tank, it will need to go fallow for 60 days in order to kill off the parasites. Brook is like Ich, it has to have a host fish. Note if it is velvet, the Rally Pro and Hydroplex will also treat it too. You need to move very fast to treat velvet. It kills quickly.

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have put them in your display tank, it will need to go fallow for 60 days in order to kill off the parasites. Note if it is velvet, the Rally Pro and Hydroplex will also treat it too. You need to move very fast to treat velvet. It kills quickly.
Do I need both or can i get one or the other rally or hydroplex

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can
Do I need both or can i get one or the other rally or hydroplex
You can get just Rally and I believe give them a dip with it too. Read the instructions online or the bottle. I have had success with Hydroplex for saving fish that looks like yours.

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can

You can get just Rally and I believe give them a dip with it too. Read the instructions online or the bottle. I have had success with Hydroplex for saving fish that looks like yours.
Would coppersafe work? My local pet stores dont have hydroplex or rally

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Clownfish have stuff on their skin I quarantined them it was after I bought a hammer coral and some zoas it appeared on them how do I help/save them had them for awhile don’t want them to die.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This is clearly brooklynella hostillis. the heavy presence of mucus suggests brooklynella which commonly affects clowns especially wild caught versions. If I see correctly- the fish also has secondary infections which stem from long term brook.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks. Skip hydroplex which best used as a dip and is Not reef safe and contains ZERO medication.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post a short video?
This could be late stage ich, or early Brooklynella. Each requires different treatments, so we need to be sure.

You said you quarantined these already What protocol did you use?

Jay

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back