Clownfish help please

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need assistance. My tank holds 13.5 gallons. My first two fish were two ocellaris clown fish (the basic orange starter pack). After one of them killed the other, I followed the LFS's advise and began over with two new varieties of clownfish. Perhaps six months later, the frostbite clown killed the other. She recently killed the mandarin fish, so I've decided to leave her to be the clown solo. I'm at a loss on what to do. Is there a kind of clown that's friendly? Could it be that there isn't an anemone? Any suggestions for the future?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need assistance. My tank holds 13.5 gallons. My first two fish were two ocellaris clown fish (the basic orange starter pack). After one of them killed the other, I followed the LFS's advise and began over with two new varieties of clownfish. Perhaps six months later, the frostbite clown killed the other. She recently killed the mandarin fish, so I've decided to leave her to be the clown solo. I'm at a loss on what to do. Is there a kind of clown that's friendly? Could it be that there isn't an anemone? Any suggestions for the future?
How large were they when you got them. The general rule of thumb is that you either want to get a mated pair or go for the smallest clownfish you can find. What happens is that the dominant clownfish becomes female, the second in the pecking order is the male, and everyone else is 'unsexed' and waiting their turn. If you got two females...they would go after each other until one was dead. If they were both not females...then it could be a number of things. The life of clownfish is constant torment to establish social dominance.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mix clowns as it’s a bit of a crap shoot as too pairing.
If a pair is your goal, add an existing bonded pair or two very small juveniles of the Ocellaris family.
They don’t need a nem, they will host anything they like. ACDBF1B5-FCE1-478A-AA4B-D40C6A7FFD9E.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back