Clownfish help

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my larger of 2 clowns wouldn’t let the smaller clownfish up from the bottom. Kept pushing him down. I thought it was just bullying or male dominance since they’re both males. Or the change from male to female but now I noticed the clown is on the opposite side of tank swimming upside down in the sheltered area near the defroster feeder. I opened the lid and he swam back down and then minutes later right back to swimming upside down. I checked all the water parameters and everything seems fine. Don’t notice and visible ailments. Any ideas what’s wrong? Here’s a video. Appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    14.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yesterday my larger of 2 clowns wouldn’t let the smaller clownfish up from the bottom. Kept pushing him down. I thought it was just bullying or male dominance since they’re both males. Or the change from male to female but now I noticed the clown is on the opposite side of tank swimming upside down in the sheltered area near the defroster feeder. I opened the lid and he swam back down and then minutes later right back to swimming upside down. I checked all the water parameters and everything seems fine. Don’t notice and visible ailments. Any ideas what’s wrong? Here’s a video. Appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks
Video was quite short but appears to be a result of intimidation and what is known as clown Hierarchy by the female. Female clownfish are much more dominant than the males and become greedy and try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They aggressively protect their home whether its an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. In time, they may get aggressive and attack the male. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video was quite short but appears to be a result of intimidation and what is known as clown Hierarchy by the female. Female clownfish are much more dominant than the males and become greedy and try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They aggressively protect their home whether its an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. In time, they may get aggressive and attack the male. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open.
But the fish is swimming completely upside down?

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video is a bit longer. And a picture. Trying to look things up online, is this something wrong with the swim bladder? Eating to fast? He doesn’t look bloated? I only feed a pinch of pellets and at the end of the day a 1/2 cube of frozen Mysis or brine. Mostly for the shrimp. I have a Nem but that have yet to host. So you think hang an acclimation box and isolate? Not sure that will turn him back to the right side?

Attachments

• D0BD24D7-2AC0-487B-8506-76397F146713.jpeg
    D0BD24D7-2AC0-487B-8506-76397F146713.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2F68A42A-1D92-4427-A466-2D726D396883.jpeg
    2F68A42A-1D92-4427-A466-2D726D396883.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    39.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This video is a bit longer. And a picture. Trying to look things up online, is this something wrong with the swim bladder? Eating to fast? He doesn’t look bloated? I only feed a pinch of pellets and at the end of the day a 1/2 cube of frozen Mysis or brine. Mostly for the shrimp. I have a Nem but that have yet to host. So you think hang an acclimation box and isolate? Not sure that will turn him back to the right side?
Hard to tell but again bullying or buoyancy issue
Please furnish a longer video for confirmation
Is breathing normal or labored?
Can’t really tell

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It moves so fast I can’t tell labored breathing. But heading to PetCo because nothing else is open to at least get a mesh acclimation box. Hopefully they might know what’s wrong. Only fish I ever saw upside down is typically not a good fish but these are clowns.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the larger fish was doing to him before his upside down swimming.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    58 MB

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It moves so fast I can’t tell labored breathing. But heading to PetCo because nothing else is open to at least get a mesh acclimation box. Hopefully they might know what’s wrong. Only fish I ever saw upside down is typically not a good fish but these are clowns.
As said it could be a buoyancy issue, though if clown is able to swim away normally when you come near maybe not. Clowns do weird things. . . if the water is good and you are seeing bullying I would assume it is from that. The upside down thing is weird (clowns are weird), but the swimming at the very top to avoid aggression is not weird (at least in my opinion). Think the breeder box is a good idea.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetCo guy said he got beat up. Isolation box is right idea. Going through puberty but they may never get along again so if he makes it, I may need to get another tank or re-home.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all "2 Clownfishes" will mate. It may be the female doesn't 'like' this male as a mate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back