Clownfish Hosts

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm in the progress of starting a 25 gallon tank and will definitely be getting two clownfish. I really want something for them to host, but I am worried about having a RBTA. I don't want it to kill coral and feel it may be a bit hard for me being this is my 1st tank. Am I being over concerned? Are there similar corals that they might host and will be fun to watch them frolic in?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm in the progress of starting a 25 gallon tank and will definitely be getting two clownfish. I really want something for them to host, but I am worried about having a RBTA. I don't want it to kill coral and feel it may be a bit hard for me being this is my 1st tank. Am I being over concerned? Are there similar corals that they might host and will be fun to watch them frolic in?
even with bubble tips, they aren't guaranteed to use them as hosts. I've heard of toadstools, frogspawns/other euphyllia hosting clowns. again no guarantee as your clown might call a corner or a powerhead a host.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d skip on the bta in less than 30 gallons or so, they get big and spread and move around, so easy to hurt corals.
Nems are the best hosts, but plenty of corals will work too.
Common hosts are hammers, frogspawn, mushrooms, and toadstool leathers.
They’ll host just about anything though, coral or not.
My female hosts a torch, but I wouldn’t recommend actually trying to do this. Torches stress easily, so a clown can kill it. I’m lucky my torch doesn’t mind.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d skip on the bta in less than 30 gallons or so, they get big and spread and move around, so easy to hurt corals.
Nems are the best hosts, but plenty of corals will work too.
Common hosts are hammers, frogspawn, mushrooms, and toadstool leathers.
They’ll host just about anything though, coral or not.
My female hosts a torch, but I wouldn’t recommend actually trying to do this. Torches stress easily, so a clown can kill it. I’m lucky my torch doesn’t mind.
also I've seen other clowns that use torches for hosts have spots from being stung. They are still healthy, but just blemishes. something to keep in mind... I think for other euphyllia they don't get stung as bad as a torch.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be too disappointed if they never host anything. Most clownfish are captive bred and have never seen an anemone, or a predator. I have clowns in both of my reef tanks and none of them have the slightest interest in hosting. They just hang around in their area of the tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I've seen other clowns that use torches for hosts have spots from being stung. They are still healthy, but just blemishes. something to keep in mind... I think for other euphyllia they don't get stung as bad as a torch.
I’ve noticed, when my pair first hosted there were always black spots. Not anymore, and since my mocha is black I couldn’t see if there were spots.
I wish my torch wasn’t the host, but there’s no controlling clowns lol

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never hosted any corals or an anemone. I had a RBTA and she ignored it. Had heliofungia and torch and hammer in my tanks and she never even looked at them. She preferred the return nozzle at the back of the tank and eventually moved into a cave. If you want a good host I'd say hammer coral. They can have long tentacles like an anemone for the clown to live in but aren't as stingy as a torch. Toadstool leathers sometimes come with long tentacles too, look for those!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never hosted any corals or an anemone. I had a RBTA and she ignored it. Had heliofungia and torch and hammer in my tanks and she never even looked at them. She preferred the return nozzle at the back of the tank and eventually moved into a cave. If you want a good host I'd say hammer coral. They can have long tentacles like an anemone for the clown to live in but aren't as stingy as a torch. Toadstool leathers sometimes come with long tentacles too, look for those!
Agree with hammers…just avoid wall hammers. They don’t tend to do too well in tanks.
Long polyp toadstools look great! I wish my clown hosted mine.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions! I'm leaving twords trying a hammer and hoping if it's the only thing in the tank with them that I'll get lucky! I really hope i can avoid the back corner

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back