Clownfish in kill mode!

elkinsda957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently transfered a few tanks into a 90g which has taken place over the last 2.5 weeks. I moved over all the fish which include the clown pair, six-line wrasse, purple fire fish, yellow tailed damsel. Now i wasnt sure if i was gonna keep the 3 striped damsel so i kept him in a different tank until today, I decided to put him in since hes been a good fish and i decided not to buy any more fish for awhile. The damsel and all the other fish where fine for around the first 15 minutes then all hell broke loose! My female clown (percula) decided she didnt want that fish anywhere in the tank. Long story short i had to jet off to work for 12 hours, well i just got home and my clowns are beat to hell and the damsel is no where to be seen! I've never seen anything like this before. How long will it take to regrow fins? how long for the scales?
I'm assuming the damsels still alive cause the female clown is still searching inside all the caves.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hope the chaos stops soon! Fins grow back really quickly, like a week or so. Scales take longer, not sure exactly how long, but longer for sure. Had a marine betta get it's fins and tail chopped up in a powerhead really bad. A week later they were almost totally healed.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns and damsels are from the same taxonomic family, pomacentridae. It's more likely that you get these territorial outbreaks when you mix somewhat-related fish, so this is pretty predictable behavior. Add to the mix that damselfishes and clowns are territorial, then the fighting was almost a foregone conclusion.

Regardless, the clowns should be fine as long as their stress doesn't compromise their immune system. Fins regrow quickly as seafansar mentioned. I'd keep an eye out to make sure they aren't exhibiting signs of further fighting or infection tho.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled my female clown because she decided that none of my Mandarins where allowed out in the open. The male is fine and not territorial.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't met a damsels attitude that I liked. I just don't think they are good tank mates for anything other than a predator tank. This being the reason why -

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 109 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back