Clownfish Infected?

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a piece of macro algae to my tank yesterday evening and my one fish in the tank (clownfish) now has bumps near his gills the following morning. Did I introduce a parasite? Any help with IDing it would be helpful. The tank is just the clownfish and a piece of macro algae. Tank is 1.5 months old and the clownfish was added about a week ago after the cycle. He has been eating fine.

IMG_20190823_163026.jpg
IMG_20190823_163109.jpg

His gill area was completely smooth and now it seems a bit bumpy, see images.

Thanks!

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they aren't bumps, it looks like missing scales. Could it just be him rubbing against stuff? Parameters: 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate 0 phosphate 1.023 salinity, 79 temperature
IMG_20190823_173631_1.jpg

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been rubbing up against the glass a lot, haven't seen him on the rocks but could be. He has spent most of his time near the surface since being added.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best option is to take him out and do a five minute freshwater dip to check for flukes. However, the easier option is to treat your tank with prazipro two times spaced 6 days apart. Flukes are luckily the one thing that has a reef safe solution.

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a freshwater dip and there could be super super small little white things in the tank. His behavior has changed slightly after the dip where he is lower in the tank. It's hard to tell for sure if the little white thing in the bowl is a fluke or just a little thing without a microscope haha. Going to get some prazipro anyways just to see if it will help. He's still alive and eating,

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just FYI, with flukes there is a good chance of a secondary infection. If you are picking up prazipro, I’d suggest getting some Kanaplex too to have on hand. Kanaplex isn’t reef safe, but it’s usually pretty easy to catch them if you notice an infection. With a clown it’s easy enough to to treat them in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a small pump if needed.

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been doing very well since dosing prazi pro and the initial freshwater dip. I'm not sure if he actually has/had the flukes. He may have just been stressed from the new tank. His scales haven't healed yet, but his behavior is much better.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been doing very well since dosing prazi pro and the initial freshwater dip. I'm not sure if he actually has/had the flukes. He may have just been stressed from the new tank. His scales haven't healed yet, but his behavior is much better.

Good to hear he's doing better. I'd go ahead and do the second prazipro treatment 6 days after the first one just to make sure it's taken care of. The medication only works on adult flukes, so you have to treat a second time to make sure that there aren't recently hatched flukes. I'd do this even if he continues to improve.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back