Clownfish is hurt

WReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody , I got two clownfish a few weeks ago and I just noticed one of them had this mark . The one that has it gets picked on a lot by the other which I heard is natural when deciding who will be the female but this seems extreme:( . Also the other one does this weird vibrating thing every once in a while. I couldn't draw so I'll say where it is its , its the mark on the first white band. It looks a bit like a zit, a bit like a crater. Defined white, pin point in the middle, reddish ring then the edge of the white band.

1649790647746.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All normal clownfish behavior.

Pic is blurry, but more then likely a bite from your description. Again, all normal clownfish behavior as they figure it out.

The vibrating, and laying on their side while vibrating is a display of submission.

OP
OP
W

WReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its natural but I'm still really concerned for the victim clownfish , his fins are getting streaks and little rips that worry me . Also should I continue to tap on the glass if they really start nipping because every 20 minutes one will start chasing the other around the tank while nipping furiously .

Last edited:

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a percula that had a orange spot on the middle of their head inside of the white band. There one day, gone the next morning. Crazy fish.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy them as a pair, or were they in separate tanks at the LFS?

It's quite possible you had 2 females, and the larger killed the smaller. It happens sometimes, welcome to nature. Sorry for the loss.

If you do plan on getting another, it's a good idea to use an acclimation box, and to purchase a much smaller fish then the current resident, assuring you have purchased a male.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back