Clownfish Killing Bubble Tip Anemone

BRS

biocubeboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can a clownfish kill an anemone? My female ocellaris clownfish is pretty large, and likes to bite my fingers when I stick them in the tank. Lately she has taken to nipping at the mouth, and base of my Bubble Tip Anemone. It still take food, is attached, and inflates. I think it is healthy it's just more retracted than usual, and closes up when the clowfish bites it.

Budmans
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes they do love them to death some times only when anemones are 3x the size of the clown I haven’t had issues lower than that and it’s hit and miss in my experience.
Yeah my clownfish is probably twice the size of the anemone and has been biting it hard in the mouth. So that's probably the problem.

BRS

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
As suggested in previous posts, clownfish sometimes nip at coral and anemones to build up there resistance to the stings (sometimes they overdo it). Clownfish can also fixate on things whether it be your hand, a rock, a shrimp, coral, etc. Clownfish are weird...and awesome...and can be very frustrating.

DoomFactory

View Badges
Reaction score
I put 3 anemones in my tank, all of different sizes, so that the load of maroon clown hosting could be split up and not over doing it on one particular nem

BRS

How healthy are your fish?

• All of them are Healthy

Votes: 297 81.1%
  • Most of them are Healthy

Votes: 45 12.3%
  • Half of them are Healthy

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Most are Unhealthy

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • All are Unhealthy

Votes: 5 1.4%