Clownfish Killing Bubble Tip Anemone

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a clownfish kill an anemone? My female ocellaris clownfish is pretty large, and likes to bite my fingers when I stick them in the tank. Lately she has taken to nipping at the mouth, and base of my Bubble Tip Anemone. It still take food, is attached, and inflates. I think it is healthy it's just more retracted than usual, and closes up when the clowfish bites it.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do love them to death some times only when anemones are 3x the size of the clown I haven’t had issues lower than that and it’s hit and miss in my experience.

OP
OP
biocubeboy

biocubeboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do love them to death some times only when anemones are 3x the size of the clown I haven’t had issues lower than that and it’s hit and miss in my experience.
Yeah my clownfish is probably twice the size of the anemone and has been biting it hard in the mouth. So that's probably the problem.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my maroon clown killed by 8" LTA

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As suggested in previous posts, clownfish sometimes nip at coral and anemones to build up there resistance to the stings (sometimes they overdo it). Clownfish can also fixate on things whether it be your hand, a rock, a shrimp, coral, etc. Clownfish are weird...and awesome...and can be very frustrating.

DoomFactory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 anemones in my tank, all of different sizes, so that the load of maroon clown hosting could be split up and not over doing it on one particular nem

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back