Clownfish looking rough

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

i have a snowflake that has had a gill issue since i brought him home. I noticed after putting him in my tank, there seemed to be an odd pattern on his gill, looked like scarring almost.

thought nothing of it until a few weeks back i noticed him progressively getting worse. The gill scar started turning into a hole. Now he has a hole in his gill and it looks like the infection is spreading.

his fins have begun rotting also.

what is best way to treat this guy?

Fish store said he was fine at the store and probably caught this infection in my tank.

attached is photo you can see fins rotting, the gil is on the other side, but you can see his face is looking rough

B40FEAA1-49C2-468F-8D49-2C9C4E4734B9.jpeg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the hole on his gill. A bit hard to capture a photo, but i will post one as soon as i get a good one.

Attachments

• 9099631C-F09D-40B0-AECD-0A2AF17E2886.png
    9099631C-F09D-40B0-AECD-0A2AF17E2886.png
    748 KB · Views: 20

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hard to tell from the photos but from his back tail looking a little off and the issue with his gill it could be brooklynella

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

i have a snowflake that has had a gill issue since i brought him home. I noticed after putting him in my tank, there seemed to be an odd pattern on his gill, looked like scarring almost.

thought nothing of it until a few weeks back i noticed him progressively getting worse. The gill scar started turning into a hole. Now he has a hole in his gill and it looks like the infection is spreading.

his fins have begun rotting also.

what is best way to treat this guy?

Fish store said he was fine at the store and probably caught this infection in my tank.

attached is photo you can see fins rotting, the gil is on the other side, but you can see his face is looking rough

B40FEAA1-49C2-468F-8D49-2C9C4E4734B9.jpeg

First thing - are there any other fish in the tank with it?
How long have you had this fish?
Have you tried any medications yet?

Jay

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to quarantine the fish in another small tank for at least a month in my opinion. Start with copper and end with metroplex. Moving forward from this issue I would say always quarantine like that any new fish until you're confident its clean. For this particular instance I would do that asap especially if you have other fish. If you don't have a quarantine system setup just get a bucket with a small powerhead and an simple filter like a SICCE Shark 500.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing - are there any other fish in the tank with it?
How long have you had this fish?
Have you tried any medications yet?

Jay
Hi jay,

there are other fish yes, another clown and a damsel, both have been in there since i got this one.

Put both clowns in same day been on oct. 26

No medications yet

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, i do have a 20G quarantine tank with several meds on hand.

also have a 2.5G would this be better?

prazi, copper, metro , kanaplex and a few other medications i cant remember right now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, i do have a 20G quarantine tank with several meds on hand.

also have a 2.5G would this be better?

prazi, copper, metro , kanaplex and a few other medications i cant remember right now

I think isolating this clown (in case it is tankmate aggression) and then dosing with the Kanaplex would be the best course of action. Hidden aggression is very common - the fish act fine while you are in the room and then fight once you leave, especially sly clownfish (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think isolating this clown (in case it is tankmate aggression) and then dosing with the Kanaplex would be the best course of action. Hidden aggression is very common - the fish act fine while you are in the room and then fight once you leave, especially sly clownfish (grin).

Jay
I will be setting up the qt and pulling the fish today. Should i treat the other fish also or not necessary?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No copper or metro or dip which will further stress the fish already stressed. This is not a disease issue but rather stress.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up the qt and pulling the fish today. Should i treat the other fish also or not necessary?

If they are free of symptoms, I would say just watch them for now.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back