Clownfish not eating day 4

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Evo 13.5 and I have 2 new clownfish. There are no other fish just a new assortment of LPS corals mostly. My nitrite levels were at a .5 for the first 3 days and I did a 50% water change. The tank is 4 weeks old and has cycled.
upon putting the fish in (2x occys) they began hosting the overflow. The larger of the two has ventured out and done a little exploring and shows interest in me when I come around. However they have not eaten yet. I have given them 1mm pellets, and some larger ones, flakes, and some frozen shrimp with 0 luck. As seen in the video there are plenty of ‘pods’ in the tank, and the food is floating right by them. They show interest but have yet to eat anything. I need some help here!
Thanks in advance!
(Video won’t upload for some reason)

1DD8138E-FF86-4B33-84B6-BDAA46DCF55C.png F3BB1EE8-51FB-429F-9854-20CED787F854.png

Last edited:

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysis and if that don't work hatch out live baby brine shrimp. If neither work, you may want to start thinking about quarantining.

OP
OP
jtlong

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try frozen mysis and if that don't work hatch out live baby brine shrimp. If neither work, you may want to start thinking about quarantining.
I tried the mysis shrimp,,,it’s in the frozen cubes I stated that I bought….

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, any new pics from today, did you FW dip before adding ?
seem to have a whiteish hue to body ? #fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try posting a YouTube video? With clownfish, being able to see their swimming behavior and breathing rate really helps identify issues with them.
Jay

OP
OP
jtlong

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They seem to be way more active today, and some pellets seem to be missing from the bottom of the tank…..I think.

OP
OP
jtlong

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were just hanging out there, it seems to be a spot where there is no or little water movement.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They seem normal , try little bits of food few times a day to get them eating

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They seem to be way more active today, and some pellets seem to be missing from the bottom of the tank…..I think.

The tan clown is breathing a bit fast. I can’t see the mouth on the black clown but it is swimming good.
Did I miss it - what’s the ammonia level?
Can you add an air stone to the tank?
Jay

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you posted and I didn’t see it but did you order them or pick up local? Not sure why but every clownfish I have ordered takes a long time to eat. Most recently I had a maroon that I didn’t see eat for a week. It turns out they were picking off pods after the lights went out. Best thing to do is just watch behavior.

OP
OP
jtlong

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tan clown is breathing a bit fast. I can’t see the mouth on the black clown but it is swimming good.
Did I miss it - what’s the ammonia level?
Can you add an air stone to the tank?
Jay
So I woke up this morning and the little guys were dead... I have an air stone in my pump sump, but I have been playing with it as I have read mixed reviews on how that affects corals…mine are mostly lps and seem to be finicky. See attachment..
I got them from the LFS. Short ride to the house.
So I am going to start fresh, I will be getting a proper water test, but what else should I do?
A freshwater dip?

Attachments

• 2BBFF6A4-B449-427E-83C5-2854F645AB31.jpeg
    2BBFF6A4-B449-427E-83C5-2854F645AB31.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 47

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear, 1st thought ,going fallow for 72 days, we don't know what killed them... :(

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is only 4 weeks old, how did you cycle it? Have you tested for ammonia? The test strip (which aren't very accurate looks like 0 nitrate which if correct to me would indicate the tank is not cycled. If that is the case then ammonia very well may have been the cause. Also pH is very low. I would recommend more accurate test kits and verifying the cycle before adding live stock again. JMO

OP
OP
jtlong

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is only 4 weeks old, how did you cycle it? Have you tested for ammonia? The test strip (which aren't very accurate looks like 0 nitrate which if correct to me would indicate the tank is not cycled. If that is the case then ammonia very well may have been the cause. Also pH is very low. I would recommend more accurate test kits and verifying the cycle before adding live stock again. JMO
I think you probably read my post about what I am going to do! I used live rock and turbo start to get things going. My nitrate levels are acceptable, and nitrite which is toxic to fish and a direct derivative of Amina all show that my bacteria and filter are doing their job! Since it is a new week it has been 5 weeks…not that any test strip is conclusive, which is why I will have a test done this afternoon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, I didn’t see an ammonia test and the pH strip is reading really low (but those strips are often inaccurate). You’ll need to double check those values, your store should be able to help you with that.

+1 on also needing the tank to remain fishless for 60 to 75 days to let any possible diseases die out.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back