Clownfish pair locking lips and biting gills

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This morning I found my two orange storm clownfish, that I had for 4 months (and were owned for 4 months by the previous owner), locking lips and biting each other's gills. To be honest, I noticed some aggression yesterday too, but it died down today after 15min. Today there were going at it for hours until I managed to catch one and put it in the sump. They really must have hated each other because both were fighting inside the net! They were purchased and juveniles and likely lived their entire lives together. But in my tank (75 gallon) they stayed together for a couple of months, then slowly drifted apart to different sides of the tank. I recently added 3 anthias (after a full quarantine) and have been feeding a lot. As expected the clownfish have gotten most of the food and so have also grown noticeably in 3 weeks. One was always about 1/3" smaller than the other and would frequently do the "shake" in front of the other. But now that they both have grown it seems like they are nearly the same size.

How long can the one clown in the sump stay there? The sump is a 20 gallon, but the fuge area is about 5 gallon. I realized that I probably have to give up one of them. Is there any other solution?

Both fish are breathing extremely heavily and is there any action I should do? I'd rather not try to catch the other and stress it out by netting it.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they? Maybe they are still both males and are trying to establish who is going to turn female?? You could try sectioning off the tank and reintroduce after some time. I’ve seen others put one fish in a breeding box also. I would section off my tank before putting them in a breeding box but I understand that’s not an option for everyone. Hopefully others will chime in. I only have one clown so no first hand experience with this behavior.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them when they were both sub 2". Now one is maybe 2.5" and the other 2.75"

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a ruler again and tried to eyeball. I grossly overestimated their size. They are maybe a little over 2".

Last edited:
OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed the clownfish that was in the sump for a couple of days in a breeder box and back to the DT to see how the two would interact. In the sump, it was still eating. The less aggressive one (that was in the DT) seems to be the aggressor now.

Aquatic Lifeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, they were probably a pair at one point but when they drifted apart the one that was the male could have changed to female.
Instead of causing more stress, go to your lfs and see if you can swap the one you caught with a smaller for sure male. Because if they are both female they will fight to the death. I would not reintroduce them.
Or you could just make another tank and keep the other in there :)
More tanks more fun!

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'll see if they settle down in a couple of days. It's weird that both of them do a half "submission wiggle" occasionally.

Back