Clownfish Pairing Behaviour

Secky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Just want to check that things are normal when the bigger one (most likely female) is doing it’s submissive dance to the smaller one. I’ve only heard that it only happens the other way round. It’s been a month since i’ve added them and the smaller one stays near the top and the bigger one is starting to host some of the rock lower down. Occasionally they would swim together and nip each other. Just confirming this is normal pairing process? Thanks!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are they? Were they kept seperately or together prior to you getting them? Individual personality is a factor as well as who they were housed with prior to getting them. (Another possibility is one has a problem that isn't readily apparent yet.) If the smaller one was in a seperate tank and was the largest one in a group of clowns it would start to transition to being female. If your larger one was in a different tank with a dominate clown it would start the transition to being male. I wouldn't consider it very common occurance but as juveniles maintained seperately it is possible to get a "female" that's smaller than a "male". Keep in mind clwons aren't sexually mature until they're roughly a year old so you're not going to know for sure for awhile who's who. And a pair may have meta issues just like any other couple.

OP
OP
S

Secky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns were bought together from the same tank. Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back