Clownfish pairing, how much fighting Ian too much?

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! So about a month back, I got a pair of clowns to put in my 75 tank. They were the first inhabitants. Unfortunately, one of them didn’t make it. So, I bought another one and had him in QT. Today, he looked clean and I added him to the display after acclimating him. The newer one is significantly bigger than the older one, but they are both juveniles I believe. (This was what the store employees told me). So, I’ve been watching them closely because here’s the thing, the second clown was from a different store than the first. Same kind, ocellaris, though. Anyway, if there’s too much fighting I’ll have to give one away because I won’t be responsible for one being bullied to death. Since I added him maybe but a half hour ago, I’ve been a little concerned and am looking for advice. They have gone at each other 4-5 times already, and I’m seeing a lot of the bigger fish chasing the smaller one around. Is this normal for pairing clowns? Exactly how much conflict is “too much?” And how urgent is this matter?

Thanks very much!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! So about a month back, I got a pair of clowns to put in my 75 tank. They were the first inhabitants. Unfortunately, one of them didn’t make it. So, I bought another one and had him in QT. Today, he looked clean and I added him to the display after acclimating him. The newer one is significantly bigger than the older one, but they are both juveniles I believe. (This was what the store employees told me). So, I’ve been watching them closely because here’s the thing, the second clown was from a different store than the first. Same kind, ocellaris, though. Anyway, if there’s too much fighting I’ll have to give one away because I won’t be responsible for one being bullied to death. Since I added him maybe but a half hour ago, I’ve been a little concerned and am looking for advice. They have gone at each other 4-5 times already, and I’m seeing a lot of the bigger fish chasing the smaller one around. Is this normal for pairing clowns? Exactly how much conflict is “too much?” And how urgent is this matter?

Thanks very much!

First let’s start with approx sizes? Next what are your other inhabitants? Their will be some getting used to each other just watch for damage to the fins and tail areas.

OP
OP
P

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let’s start with approx sizes? Next what are your other inhabitants? Their will be some getting used to each other just watch for damage to the fins and tail areas.
Approx. sizes: smaller clown maybe 1.5”-2” larger one maybe 2.5”-3”. No other tank inhabitants atm, just the two clowns.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that should be fine. Give it a shot but watch for aggression.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will bicker, it’s normal. Just keep an eye out for locking jaws or biting the spine, see this and it’s time to separate.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5" - 2" is pretty large already, did it come from a tank full of similar sized fish, or was it alone or with only several other fish? Should be OK so long as fins aren't getting seriously torn up, give it a week and see what happens. I'd also suggest adding some temporary rocks or re-arranging the rockwork. You could also possibly use an acclimation box. How big is the tank?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that died, was it bigger or smaller than the other one? My guess is that you now have two females.....and they don't switch back! I agree, 1 1/2 - 2 inches is big (a female)! My old male is about 1 inch.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back