Clownfish Pairing

MichaelMarfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Snowflake clown to my tank after my dominant Clarki clown died. I have had a regular ocellaris clown in my tank for nearly 3 years, and he hid most of the time while the large clarki was in the tank. Within 10 minutes I saw my ocellaris rush the new snowflake, and the snowflake submitted and turned his belly to the bigger ocellaris. They've been sleeping together and swimming together since I added the new snowflake. My question is are they paired, and will they breed. I don't know if the snowflake is mature enough to breed yet due to the size, but the submission and bonding was hopeful to me. I also am unsure about the older ocellaris, since it was certainly a submissive male for over a year with the old female clarki clown. Will it transition to female now that there's a smaller snowflake?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The larger more dominant fish will probably transition to a female. They are probably not paired yet, but are on their way (although some people use the term “paired” to mean any two clowns that get along). There is a reasonable chance that they will mate eventually, but they are clowns so who knows!?! Good luck!

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have had the occy for that long, it most likely already became a female. The fact that the new clown submitted right away is a great sign. Both clownfish should be sexually mature and ready to breed, but that doesn't really mean anything. Typically a female needs to 2 years old or older, and a male needs to be at least 6 months old. I have had some pairs breed within 6 months, and some that haven't at all even after a year or more. Your pair is what breeders would considered "bonded."

There are certain behaviors to watch for. If you see them cleaning a particular area, that is a good sign. Next you wou want to see the male vibrating so to say on the area they have clean. The female will most likely do "dry runs" like she is laying eggs in the same area.

Foods that you feed can make a big difference as well. You want to feed high protien foods like TDO, New Life Spectrum, LRS Fertility Frenzy. In the wild clownish typically are triggered to breed when warmer waters start to come through their reef. Breeders replicate this by keeping water temps around 81°F and frequent water changes. I have a 420 gallon system and do 2 waters changes a week of 20 gallons each.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 46 42.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back