Clownfish stopped eating

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown that I have had since I started the tank (about 3 months) has not eaten in the last 2 days. I tried flake, pellet and frozen mysis but he won’t eat any of it. I also noticed a spot on him today. Only one that I can see and am hoping it is not ich. Would this cause him to stop eating? Tank mates are a cleaner shrimp, firefish and diamond goby.
EE2AEC7C-D951-47D3-A9BC-D39FD6372106.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is not a favourite of my clowns, I would try different frozen food, there are loads out there, small foods seem to be preferred, try lobster eggs, cyclops, brine shrimp, Copepods, I also grate frozen scallops and octopus, if you can get a hold of live food try that too.
If a fish is not eating I would try their natural food choices before offering flake etc.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the foods I mentioned, he used to eat up voraciously. I find it odd that he won’t touch them now. He will swim around the food when I add it to the tank, but won’t eat it. I didn’t think much about it the first day, but the second day is when I started to worry and notice the one spot.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the foods I mentioned, he used to eat up voraciously. I find it odd that he won’t touch them now. He will swim around the food when I add it to the tank, but won’t eat it. I didn’t think much about it the first day, but the second day is when I started to worry and notice the one spot.

they can get into a habit, once they stop eating they may stop seeing the food they don’t really like as food any more, the idea is to add different food to entice them to start eating again...same when people stop eating when ill, they will only eat certain foods, some foods they will not touch, that they once would eat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish still respiring normally? No gasping or open mouthed breathing, are the other two fish eating normally? I can’t say exactly what that spot is, but it isn’t ich.
Jay

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to hear. I was afraid it was ich. Yes, the firefish is eating great. I rarely see the goby as he hides in the caves mostly. And no, the clownfish is does not appear to be gasping. Acts very normal other than not eating

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is not a favourite of my clowns, I would try different frozen food, there are loads out there, small foods seem to be preferred, try lobster eggs, cyclops, brine shrimp, Copepods, I also grate frozen scallops and octopus, if you can get a hold of live food try that too.
If a fish is not eating I would try their natural food choices before offering flake etc.
My LFS sold me baby mysis. I thought mysis was big and then i thawed it out the first time ever and they were even smaller than brine shrimp. Either baby mysis or smth else...?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS sold me baby mysis. I thought mysis was big and then i thawed it out the first time ever and they were even smaller than brine shrimp. Either baby mysis or smth else...?

probably they were baby mysis, mine only rarely go for mysis so I have stopped buying, so many other good frozen foods out there, if yours eats it happy and you are feeding a variety of foods then I would carry on, I know mine prefer very small food so it could be a size thing, eating them because they are smaller sized mysis.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably they were baby mysis, mine only rarely go for mysis so I have stopped buying, so many other good frozen foods out there, if yours eats it happy and you are feeding a variety of foods then I would carry on, I know mine prefer very small food so it could be a size thing, eating them because they are smaller sized mysis.
My clownfish have eaten everything ive tried to feed them except for freeze dried bloodworms. I tohught they may enjoy those but they despise them so i dont really have anything to do with them. I dont think my new mando is going to eat them, im going to feed him my Hikari Marine S.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown eating well, then, not eating is not good.
Could be many things, Ick and Velvet parasites are not always visible on the outside.
If he starts getting lethargic, glassy eyes, swimming into flow, scratching or rubbing, suspect parasite.
Definitely something in the pic.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish have eaten everything ive tried to feed them except for freeze dried bloodworms. I tohught they may enjoy those but they despise them so i dont really have anything to do with them. I dont think my new mando is going to eat them, im going to feed him my Hikari Marine S.

same here, mine took them at first then slowed down with them, tbh I was glad as they stunk, I was glad to stop feeding bloodworms.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here, mine took them at first then slowed down with them, tbh I was glad as they stunk, I was glad to stop feeding bloodworms.
I tried to feed them to my cleaner shrimp, he ate a few but even he didnt like them in the end XD

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot is pretty much gone this morning. However, i tried to feed him again with 2 different types of food. He will swim up to it, but never will eat it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot is pretty much gone this morning. However, i tried to feed him again with 2 different types of food. He will swim up to it, but never will eat it.

sounds like he wants to eat, you just need to find the right food.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS today and bought some new (very expensive) Elos food. He seems to like it. This is the food the LFS told me they feed them when they first come in. At least the can should last a while.

Back