Clownfish struggling

Demoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this clown and another for a lil over a week. Was doing fine then looked like this when I woke up this morning. Parameters are normal. Any ideas?

55623C90-198F-4F7E-B37A-FC47C7C8AB2D.jpeg

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a photo under white light, and a video too, to assess respiration rate.

I see some clamped fins and skin sloughing which makes me very suspicious of brooklynella, especially in a Clownfish.

Did you quarantine these fish? What other fish are in the tank? Do you have any inverts?

OP
OP
D

Demoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish were quarantined. Added some snails and crabs but they weren’t quarantined.

Last edited:

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The respiration rate is certainly increased. I would be moving all fish to a hospital/quarantine tank and treating with a formalin treatment.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

The video shows very rapid breathing. The white marking appears to be mucus/slime.

The rapid breathing and the slime and the fact the fish is new to you and is a clownfish points towards brooklynella.

Do you see additional mucus on the body of the fish?

Brooklynella is a very serious infection. Formalin administered in a Quarantine tank is preferred treatment, but formalin may be hard to find. It also has risks for humans.

Another choice is Ruby Rally Pro which contains acriflavine. It is slower acting that formalin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish were quarantined. Added some snails and crabs but they weren’t quarantined.
This fish shows signs of secondary bacteria which often happens as a later stage with brook but dont see other tell tale signs of brook such as lethargy, heavy mucus but rapid breathing and likely loss of appetite do.
The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this likely being Brooklynella. The mucus between the first and second stripe is the key. The fish is also pretty thin - which is odd since you've only had it a week.

How does the other clown look?

Jay

OP
OP
D

Demoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this likely being Brooklynella. The mucus between the first and second stripe is the key. The fish is also pretty thin - which is odd since you've only had it a week.

How does the other clown look?

Jay
He seems fine. Swimming and eating. Doesn’t seem to like the mysis.

Attachments

• 20CDC4EE-0882-4240-8EDB-CA1EC5145041.jpeg
    20CDC4EE-0882-4240-8EDB-CA1EC5145041.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
D

Demoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish died tonight. Should I remove the other clown and treat without symptoms? Does the tank need to be treated with anything to prevent future fish from getting sick?

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat remaining fish even if not showing symptoms, and keep tank fallow for 6 weeks. Fallow = no fish, inverts are ok.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

I don't recall if you have more than the one remaining clownfish in your tank.

All fish should be placed in QT and treated for Brooklynella. While in QT, I would also recommend you follow the standard QT protocol recommended for new fish to be certain that ich, velvet, and flukes are eliminated should they exist.

The DT will need to remain fallow for 6 to 8 weeks and, as indicated, invertebrates, corals, live rock will not be affected since they are not hosts for the parasites that need to be eliminated.

OP
OP
D

Demoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still feed the tank a little for the inverts? For the one clownfish that’s moved to qt after treatment I should keep him in the qt for the rest of the 6-8 weeks correct?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a very little for the inverts, of course depends on how many you have. But, you don't want to overdo it or the water quality will be affected.

Yes to the QT question. Since you cannot return him to the DT until the end iof the fallow period, you may as well use the opportunity to perform the full QT protocol as described in the link below my name.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back