Clownfish suddenly agressive and swimmimg against glass

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I'm aware that clownfish are weird creatures, but this is concerning me a little.

I have this pair of Ocellaris for over a year, they were always goofy but never agressive to one another or any tankmate. Since this morning both of them are swimming histerically against the glass non-stop around the corner where they hang out all the time. These two never picked a place to live, they like that one corner and sleep vertically against the edge every night.

Just did a 20% water change, and they are still doing it. Very aggressively and they hit the other when they cross paths. All the other fish seem fine, salinity is at 35, pH 8.0, 0 ammonia and 15ppm nitrate. Temp 78F. These conditions haven't changed for several months.

Any experience/advice is appreciated!

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a video? Any stray current in the tank?

I'm not sure about stray current... I haven't checked. I do not have a ground probe on my setup. I will check that later today.

All the other fish seem completely fine though. No erractic behaviour. The female seems to have calmed down a bit, now the male is stressed out. This never happened before that I have noticed.

Here's the link to the video:

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! I was freaking out thinking something was going on... 'bout time these fellas realize they only got each other

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He is much smaller. He will most likely submit. She'll have him on a leash in a couple of weeks. Or...she'll kill him

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they were a pair since a long time, he was always guarding the corner they hang out... every now and then she would stare at him and he would shake... I guess clowns are much cooler than I gave them credit

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do the same thing all day. My guess was they see their reflection on the glass and they wanna attack.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look like mating behavior to me at all but I do agree more like aggression towards their own reflection from the smaller male mostly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back