Clownfish swimming vertical

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what happened? Added top off water this morning, otherwise they had been doing well. In quarantine tank for observation for 2 weeks, ammonia tested 0, salinity 1.025, temp a little bit low at 74 but typically 78. Other clown looks fine.
F997AB19-49B0-4D25-9A4C-ADB2B082284C.jpeg

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clown did a similar thing after I transferred them from the smaller tank. If you changed any of the rockwork it may just be what they do in new surroundings

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally he’s a great eater, this morning neither fish was very interested in eating. But last night all was normal. I added about 1-2 gallons this am, I’m worried I could have spilled the water on him and caused a spinal injury? I don’t think he was right under my bucket but I’m not sure.

Now he is sitting in the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, head up and inability to right itself is a common symptom of a spinal injury. Sometimes can be caused by internal flagellate but more common a physical cause. Is it possible the a rock fell on it or have the clowns been fighting?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, head up and inability to right itself is a common symptom of a spinal injury. Sometimes can be caused by internal flagellate but more common a physical cause. Is it possible the a rock fell on it or have the clowns been fighting?

That's my thought.

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about a spinal injury, but the only thing that could have happened was when I topped off 1-2 gallons of water. There is only a single pvc tube in the tank, nothing else that has fallen in.

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about a spinal injury, but the only thing that could have happened was when I topped off 1-2 gallons of water. There is only a single pvc tube in the tank, nothing else that has fallen in.
The big one nips at him occasionally but not really fighting.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was it swimming normally and overnight this presented?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was normal even this morning, at least I didn’t notice anything off when I fed this morning (besides not having a ravenous appetite like he usually does.)

Okay, where you dosing anything in the QT for treatment?

Edit: before seeing this?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with a bath for Brooklynella first and then follow up with a bacterial treatment.

As a precaution, I would do both with the bath and after treat both with bacterial meds in the QT.

Follow the guidelines in this thread to a tee:

If it's not Brook or a bacterial infection and possibly a injury, at least you tried.

Back