Clownfish turning black

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, just a quick question.

My two ocellaris clowns are swimming and eating very well. They are paired and look very healthy. I've noticed the tops of their back are turning black though. Like a gradient of black to orange. No spots of that kind of nature. I got them around 2-3 weeks ago. Is this normal? Is it stress? I could supply photos if anyone needs but it's incredibly hard to snap some high quality pics! I do have a pink damsel that is getting along with my clowns too. I've heard young clowns turn different shades as they mature but I feel like thats true on a long time scale, not 2 weeks!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos would be helpful, if you have them.

Juvenile clowns do become darker as they mature. Clowns are also known to acquire dark “spots” from attempting to host stinging corals and unwilling anemones.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Though I didn't think they'd mature that quickly.

IMG_20190210_235421.jpg

IMG_20190210_235422.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look nice from those pics.

Typically they darken w/ age and most of us prefer this, and often they are breeded w/ the darker color in mind.

Mine are picasso/percula variant, but similar to occs and common transition in color w/ age.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies! I just think it's funny because I picked these guys up from Big Al's and they had a tank of like 30 ocellaris'. Very unlikely that I'd pick any variants but I hope I did!

They turned black actually really quickly. Interesting to see what they'd look like in a month

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two clarkii clowns from my LFS, the smaller of the two died in QT. I ordered a replacement online and Qt’d it separately from the first. When I added them to the display together, they were nearly identical in size. They fought like mad for a bit, and then one became the dominate and literally in a matter of a week or so completely doubled in size. She’s probably three times the size as the male now, they’ve been with me for over a year now. But the initial size change was astoundingly fast.

It could also be the opposite of being stressed. Fish need energy to maintain their color... it’s not just “there” all the time. That’s why if a fish is stressed or ill they can become pale/washed out looking. Maybe your clowns are just starting to settle in more :)

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two clarkii clowns from my LFS, the smaller of the two died in QT. I ordered a replacement online and Qt’d it separately from the first. When I added them to the display together, they were nearly identical in size. They fought like mad for a bit, and then one became the dominate and literally in a matter of a week or so completely doubled in size. She’s probably three times the size as the male now, they’ve been with me for over a year now. But the initial size change was astoundingly fast.

It could also be the opposite of being stressed. Fish need energy to maintain their color... it’s not just “there” all the time. That’s why if a fish is stressed or ill they can become pale/washed out looking. Maybe your clowns are just starting to settle in more :)
Id be surprised if my clowns are feeling like they're on vacation! At least once a day my damsel nips at the clowns if they wonder off too far (though they get along very well! In fact I think the clowns fight more often with each other than the damsel does).

As well, considering this is my very first reef tank (7-8 months old), im surprised they're having a great time. I only feed them Omega One shrimp pellets too. I should change up the diet a bit. I will whip out the DSLR and take better pictures for you all!!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel or not, I’m fairly positive your tank is much more comfortable than what they’ve experienced through collection, shipping, and finally making their way through the supply chain and into that over-crowded holding tank at the pet store ;)

If you up the dietary value, I’m sure they will become even more colorful!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have very nice color!

I agree being in a healthier environment makes a huge difference in colors they display, as well as probably better lighting.

I'm also sure it won't be long before the tables turn on that damsel and the clowns will become boss soon.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies! I just think it's funny because I picked these guys up from Big Al's and they had a tank of like 30 ocellaris'. Very unlikely that I'd pick any variants but I hope I did!

They turned black actually really quickly. Interesting to see what they'd look like in a month

which bigals did you get them from?

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happened to my clowns. I have three, all were orange then slowly turned darker. One of them is completely black and white. Bought them out of a tank that had like 20 clowns in it.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which bigals did you get them from?
Scarborough. The one in North York always has an issue and never has anything in stock. The scarborough one has a really vast selection but is a PAIN to park!

Same happened to my clowns. I have three, all were orange then slowly turned darker. One of them is completely black and white. Bought them out of a tank that had like 20 clowns in it.
Exactly! Makes me think they're not exactly ocellaris clowns I picked up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back